Sand crap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sand crap

Is the play sand decision coming back to haunt me? I love the look of it but I can see every fish/snail turd in the entire tanks

Anyone else using play sand have a similar dislike to it?

Plant wise the sword and Val's don't seem to mind but my sag isn't doing much and I've lost some leaves due to yellowing so I wonder about it constricting the sag?

The dirt underneath has been creating air pockets but it hasn't been bad because I've been poking it ever day.

I wonder if I should start to work in a few handfuls of pool filter sand as I go along?

Thanks

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
PFS won't be much better. Its lighter than most play sand I've seen. I regret going with PFS because of the fact that it doesn't photograph well. It seems like it washes everything out in pictures. Real life it looks pretty good and I've got several positive comments about it.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sags and vals don't get along. Their allelopaths damage each other. Trumpet snails, black worms, corydoras, banjo cats and many cichlids will still the substrate for you.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:09 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: Sand crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Sags and vals don't get along. Their allelopaths damage each other.
That is still debatable. I have sag and vals growing happily together.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
That is still debatable. I have sag and vals growing happily together.

we should remember this next time someone asks for an aquarium-related science project/experiment.

Anyways, I've heard this complaint about the lighter colored sands, and to a lesser extent I've also heard it about black blasting grit.

I imagine a larger grain size helps some, as a lot of the mess/detritus would fall down into the gaps. Plus having a substrate that has color variance twixt the individual grains. Kinda like picking a throw rug for a dorm room. :/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have pool filter sand in my 46 mixed with some fluorite and MTS. I have crypts and swords doing well in it. I had bad luck with vals and they all died. Had dwarf sag for a long time, but had a tank emergency and they all went away as well, but did well for some time. I had a number of air pockets that would show up at first, but the MTS and poking got rid of that in time.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
I'm a fan of pool filter sand (comes in a variety of colorations and grades - not all of it is super-light and glassy) over play sand, as it doesn't get as compacted.

It may be worth your while to mix in a bit here and there as you can.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Sags and vals don't get along. Their allelopaths damage each other.
wow, thats something is was unaware of, allelopaths are just chemicals that plant release into that water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
PFS won't be much better. Its lighter than most play sand I've seen. I regret going with PFS because of the fact that it doesn't photograph well. It seems like it washes everything out in pictures. Real life it looks pretty good and I've got several positive comments about it.
i love the look of my play sand and will have to wait and see how this plays out a bit longer just because aesthetically it looks awesome (minus the turds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineexampl View Post
I had a number of air pockets that would show up at first, but the MTS and poking got rid of that in time.
i read about the tank that had such a large air pocket develop and when it popped it nuked the entire tank, im doing some daily poke maintenance to prevent that from ever becoming a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
over play sand, as it doesn't get as compacted.

It may be worth your while to mix in a bit here and there as you can.
thats kinda what i was thinking, worth exploring this idea

thanks everyone!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm using pool filter sand from Red Flint Sand and Gravel and really like it. Their sand is darker and has various earth tone colors rather than a single color. It does a great job hiding fish wastes and other plant related debris in my tank. They're located in northwestern Wisconsin, and I was able to find mine at a pool store near Milwaukee. If you call, they'll tell you where the closest dealer is.

http://www.redflint.com/pool_filtration_sand.htm
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
Is the play sand decision coming back to haunt me? I love the look of it but I can see every fish/snail turd in the entire tanks

I wonder if I should start to work in a few handfuls of pool filter sand as I go along?
I tried both. Impossible to keep clean. Those whom keep it looking clean constantly vacuum some up and put more in. I started using river sand from a landscaper, for it is brown and doesn't look dirty. Then there is pea pebbles from Home Depot.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve51 View Post
I'm using pool filter sand from Red Flint Sand and Gravel and really like it. Their sand is darker and has various earth tone colors rather than a single color. It does a great job hiding fish wastes and other plant related debris in my tank. They're located in northwestern Wisconsin, and I was able to find mine at a pool store near Milwaukee. If you call, they'll tell you where the closest dealer is.

http://www.redflint.com/pool_filtration_sand.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I tried both. Impossible to keep clean. Those whom keep it looking clean constantly vacuum some up and put more in. I started using river sand from a landscaper, for it is brown and doesn't look dirty. Then there is pea pebbles from Home Depot.
thanks for the suggestions, i think im gonna find something and start to mix it gradually

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I use Home Depot's "premium" playsand. I still don't exactly know what the "premium" part is? Maybe a $1 more a bag?

I don't face the front & sides of my tanks so you can see the sand/dirt layers. You can see in spots were dirt or fish waste is settling back through the sand layer into the dirt below.

This is really a esthetic problem not a functional one. I admit I do freshen up the 4" x 10" open patch in my 40 prior to taken pics/video. But, @ $4.99 a 40# bag kind of a non issue really.

Fish, shrimp, snails make Poo-Poo, it happens part of the hobby. For that matter not all plant leaves are perfect. The little flaws give a tank character.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've got pool filter sand in my 65. You can see all of the crap gathered around the dimples that the cories make around the dwarf sag, which grows like a weed. I agree with the comment about it washing out pictures as well. In my other tanks, I used Safe-T-Sorb, which I love. I'll be rescaping this tank at some point.

BTW, I have several tanks with Jungle Val with Dwarf Sag growing beneath it. Both seem to be doing fine...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here's a pic of my Red Flint pool filter sand - you'll have to excuse my crappy camera though. There's a fair amount of Angelfish poop in the picture, and I think it blends in really well with the gravel. It's only when it get's close to something else, like the gray rock, that it becomes apparent.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode