KH Below 10, GH Below 20 - Aqua Soil??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
KH Below 10, GH Below 20 - Aqua Soil???

I love the way my plants are taking to the new Aqua Soil however, I am very concerned about my water parameters. I added this soil to my 10 gallon planted tank and it is currently going through a cycle, nitrites are rising as of this morning. When I tested my KH, using the Hagen Test Kit, I added the first drop and the water turned yellow, not blue, which means my KH is below 10, and then when I tested the GH, same thing, water turned blue rather than pink, so the GH is below 20.

The PH is 6.0, should I be concerned? I am not injecting CO2 into this tank either! I know I can add baking soda to raise the KH but what about the general hardness and PH and what if I want to inject CO2? I ordered the Turbo CO2 Bio System by Red Sea for the tank and should be getting it any day now.

As I previously stated, the tank is going through a cycle, even though this tank has been established for 8 months now, I removed the old subtrate before adding the Aqua Soil. I also moved my fish to a larger tank. There are 3 Zebra Danios in there now, which I added on purpose to cycle the tank.

My concern is, I eventually want to move either my Kribs or my Apistos into this tank, once it's established but I'm concerned about the water parameters being so low, what can I do to rectify this problem?

Many thanks!
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
If it only took one drop to change the color for GH and kh, that means that the degree of hardness is less than or equal to 1.

Low kh and low ph, thatís the nature of aqua soil and its going to keep that way.

I would slowly add in co2 and watch the fish and the plants. Unfortunately this is where experience really comes in handy since levels of co2 cannot accurately be measure by the ph/kh chart.

Since the water is soften by the soil, you will not need very much co2. With a 10gal tank, I would start with 1bps and turn it up slowly if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Unfortunately this is where experience really comes in handy since levels of co2 cannot accurately be measure by the ph/kh chart.

Since the water is soften by the soil, you will not need very much co2. With a 10gal tank, I would start with 1bps and turn it up slowly if needed.
Interesting. Were about to try AS in a 10g and I didn't realize that the ph/kh chart get's thrown out the window if used. Or am I reading into this too much?

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzr750r1 View Post
Interesting. Were about to try AS in a 10g and I didn't realize that the ph/kh chart get's thrown out the window if used. Or am I reading into this too much?
One major characteristic of aquasoil is its ability to lower ph and kh. On my water change days, my kh and ph comes up, but by the end of the week they drop. Its very difficult to use the chart because of this. So yeah, i believe the chart gets thrown out the window w/ AS.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have just set up a 69G with AS and have experienced the same thing, the advice I got from this forum was to start slowly adding CO2 and keep an eye on the plants and fish to see how things do and it all looks good so far.
Just noticed the algae on my driftwood has started pearling so something is loving the conditions!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
Just noticed the algae on my driftwood has started pearling so something is loving the conditions!
You gotta love it. My beard algea is the only thing that pearls in my tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I keep my water pretty soft, so the KH stays about 2dH and the GH is about 8. When I used flourite my pH was about 6.5 to 6.8 but now it stays around 5.7. My tetras, apistos and dicrossus are LOVING it!! Getting a lot of breeding in the tank. The plants are also growing like MAD and I'm getting LOTS of pearling. If you have fish that don't appreciate low pH, just keep an eye on the KH and add baking soda whenever necessary.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode