Thumb Down Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry Thumb Down Flourite

I bought a bag of red Flourite and found out that is is very dirty, I mean very dirty! And I donot see the justification for the price and doubt it benifits, despite of many people here claim otherwise. Here is why.

1. It is just crushed shale and slate, both are mud stone, with the latter under higher pressure in the sidimentation process so it is harder and more stable, and basically inert and no benificial to plants.
2. The shale may have some benifits to plants, it is basically dried mud. But it will slowly dissolve in water, and that is why it is so dirty. You will be better off by using regular gravel plus some dirt from your back yard. It is a lot cheaper.
3. It is too coarse, up to 1/4 inch in size, and too sharply angled, not good to the root.
4. There is no special treatment to the crushed rock, no additional added benifit, no justification for the high cost.

The Floramax is basically the same materials, but crushed and graded to a much finer size, and is much cheaper. IMHO, it is much better value.

Other than AS that is specially manufactured substrate for planted tank, all the crushed rock should be treated the same, crushed rock. And they are no better than natural gravle and sand. One exception is crushed and properly graded lava rock. Their porosity has been proven to be benifitial.

Anyway, Flourite is crushed slate and shale, poorly graded, dirty, and over priced, ordinary substrate, no better than any properly graded oridinary gravel and sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeling View Post

1. It is just crushed shale and slate, both are mud stone, with the latter under higher pressure in the sidimentation process so it is harder and more stable, and basically inert and no benificial to plants.
It is hardened clay and has a high CEC, unlike sand for example.

Quote:
2. The shale may have some benifits to plants, it is basically dried mud. But it will slowly dissolve in water, and that is why it is so dirty. You will be better off by using regular gravel plus some dirt from your back yard. It is a lot cheaper.
It does not disolve in water. I am using it for more than one year. It is dirty i did rinse it the first time I used it. Regular gravel does not have CEC, but many people claim have success with gravel. Personally I mix sand and flourite.

Quote:

3. It is too coarse, up to 1/4 inch in size, and too sharply angled, not good to the root.
My red flourite is 2-3mm in size, I find it the right size but not the best for corydoras fishes.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
It is hardened clay and has a high CEC, unlike sand for example.

It does not disolve in water. I am using it for more than one year. It is dirty i did rinse it the first time I used it. Regular gravel does not have CEC, but many people claim have success with gravel. Personally I mix sand and flourite.

My red flourite is 2-3mm in size, I find it the right size but not the best for corydoras fishes.

Michel.
+one , Flourite is iron enriched clay (flourite red).

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is not specially treated or anything, just crushed natural rocks. BAsed on my assessment, BTW, I'm a minrologist by training, it is just slate, hard, dense, and inert, mixed with shale, relative soft, and may break down.

The size I have is just too coarse, and it is too sharp. If you got the right size, good for you. At least they have poor QC from batch to batch.

As far as CEC goes, I just don't see what in there can provide that, not the slate, which is the majority, may be some shale, but limited. Talking about CEC, the flourite stuff is far inferiou that crushed lava, especially red lava, very rich in iron too.

Can it be used in planted tank, sure. Is it justified for the money, NO!

I know people own it and used it will say otehrwise, but this is just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Planted Member

Thumb Down Flourite

I have it my 90g and it's about 3-4" thick. My plants love it and I never fertilize except for the occasional root tab for new plants.
It is dirty and took me a long time to rinse it but it is worth it. My Cory's and khuli loaches don't seem to mind it either.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It is not specially treated or anything, just crushed natural rocks. BAsed on my assessment, BTW, I'm a minrologist by training, it is just slate, hard, dense, and inert, mixed with shale, relative soft, and may break down.

The size I have is just too coarse, and it is too sharp. If you got the right size, good for you. At least they have poor QC from batch to batch.

As far as CEC goes, I just don't see what in there can provide that, not the slate, which is the majority, may be some shale, but limited. Talking about CEC, the flourite stuff is far inferiou that crushed lava, especially red lava, very rich in iron too.

Can it be used in planted tank, sure. Is it justified for the money, NO!

I know people own it and used it will say otehrwise, but this is just my 2 cents.
You can't even spell mineralologist,I have doubt's as to your conclusion's.
Product is calcined clay.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have Flourite over 15 years old in my 46. Never had any problems with it. Plants seem to like it.

P.S. Internet bona fides are pretty much worthless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
You can't even spell mineralologist,I have doubt's as to your conclusion's.
Product is calcined clay.
So what, in the rush of things.
Anyway, you like it, fine. I just don't think it is worth the money, period. I didn't say it is not working, just not justified for the price. That's all. It is too dirty to use.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

That dust is arguably the best part of the product. I wouldn't rinse it at all if I used it, much like how I use STS. It is a clay product, mostly aluminum.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ouriteRed.html

In the rush of things? You had all the time in the world to compose your rant.

On top of that, you would have known it was dirty if you did any research on the product. Go buy eco-complete if you want something clean and no fuss.

Last edited by steven p; 05-28-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: pshhh....
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Don't be fooled by the chemical analysis. It is more important what can dissolve in water, at what rate, not what is in there. Look at a chemical analysis of granite, very balanced, why no one is promote it as plant growth substrate? It is inert.

Agreed on the washing part, the goodies may be in the fine particles. Wash it off, waste money.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think that you're going to lose much to the water after the initial leaching. The negative charge of the product grabs ions. Granite lacks this property and for the most part, so does lava rock.

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wheeling you sound more like someone who is frustrated and that is against a product or wants to vent. You may find it pricey, you may hate it is your opinion. But, you should not send false information about the product.

But you do not really know what flourite is, first you called this chrushed shale and slate, then you say it is dried mud, non sense is this talking.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html

Flourite® is a specially fracted, stable porous clay gravel for the natural planted aquarium.

We say that after a rinse dirty particles goes out and that it will not cloud water but you do not seem to be in a mood to understand. Wait a couple of days, let the fire in your head goes down, please.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 05-28-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: language
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ok, Wheeling....

I don't claim to have any credentials on anything. That said, I'm open to hear your ideas. Surely you've studied the composition of not only the granules, but of the "powder", yes?

Maybe you can help us save money and shut down this excessive exploitation of aquarium hobbyists! How can we recreate the product for less money?
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Wheeling you sound more like someone who is frustrated and that is bitching against a product or wants to vent. You may find it pricey, you may hate it is your opinion. But, you should not send false information about the product.

But you do not really know what flourite is, first you called this chrushed shale and slate, then you say it is dried mud, non sense is this talking.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html

Flourite® is a specially fracted, stable porous clay gravel for the natural planted aquarium.

We say that after a rinse dirty particles goes out and that it will not cloud water but you do not seem to be in a mood to understand. Wait a couple of days, let the fire in your head goes down, please.

Michel.
Read my original post, you will know what a dried mud is. Are you a representative of the producer? HOw many rinse I have to do?
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
Ok, Wheeling....

I don't claim to have any credentials on anything. That said, I'm open to hear your ideas. Surely you've studied the composition of not only the granules, but of the "powder", yes?

Maybe you can help us save money and shut down this excessive exploitation of aquarium hobbyists! How can we recreate the product for less money?
You like the product, you use it, that is fine. I don't like it and I'm stuck with it. As a consumer, I have my right to voice my dispointment, I don't think it is worth the money, period. If you have the time to develope a new product, go ahead. I'll give it a first try.
Closed Thread

Tags
dirty, flourite, poor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode