Rookie Q: Too much Laterite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Rookie Q: Too much Laterite?

Aha! First post here after lurking for a few weeks.
My apologies if these have been asked, but I've looked through these forums and couldn't find the first question (blind, perhaps?).

Now, is it possible to use too much laterite? I haven't added any to my (currently empty) tank, but the directions on the box, it seems to be so little. Would I be plotting my own doom if I added more?

Also! I would have liked to get some other type of substrate this time around, small towns don't have much in the way of substrate or substrate additives. Is it possible to mix two types of substrate? Or should I clear out and add the new substrate when I get it.

Also, is there anything I shouldn't be mixing with Laterite? EIther for the sake of avoiding redundancy? I'm aware there are many preferences and opinions, but I figure that several good opinions are better than some answers I could come up with.

(as for what the tank is, I'm setting up a 10G tank, probably with some easy plants to begin with. I figure I'll start small, slow and simple and then work my way up, once I'm a guru like you folks.)

Sorry for length!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I used 1 box(55oz if I remeber correctly) in a ten gallon tank much as you are decsribing. I mixed the laterite with sand and put about an inch of plain sand on top of that. It grew the plants OK, but it was a mess when uprooting a plant.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 11:37 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've got a whole 1-1.5inch thick base of laterite as my nutrient layer. Go ahead and dump it in (in an even layer of course). As for mixing substrats, usually laterite can go with everything however if you wanted to seperate them then it'll probably be a headache ready to spring. With only a sprinkling of laterite i doubt that it'll cause too much doil dusty when uprooting, if anything try to be careful as lots of mulm builds up in all planted tanks and this can make the water look very messy very quickly. I know when i pull out plants slowly and carefully, i only manage to get an insignificant puff of laterite (i have about 1 inch of fine gravel over the top). I've pulled out whole chainsword carpets with little laterite escaping. Just gotta be careful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode