180 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orange County
Posts: 418
180 gallon tank

I'm setting up a new 180 gallon and would like this one to have plants as the other didn't.

I will have 10 Red Bellies in the tank and want to do a dim side and a bright side of the tank since the P's don't like too much light. I'll also include peat in my FX5. I already have a long 72" 96 watt bulb for the entire tank and will be adding a 36" fixture that will have 192 watts. This side will be for my plants.

What's the best substrate to use for half a tank only without having it get all over the tank. I have sand in my other 180 and my fish dug all the plants up and kicked most of the sand to one side of the tank so I will probably do gravel this time.

Would doing only half a tank be ok and would the plants still be fine? Also would 1" of substrate and 1" of gravel be ok?
LGHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Banned
 
fshfanatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,279
I assume you are talking about redbullied pacu's. You realize that they are vegitarians, right?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orange County
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
I assume you are talking about redbullied pacu's. You realize that they are vegitarians, right?
Not Pacu's. The reds with the BIG teeth called piranhas.
LGHT is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 04:18 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
danepatrick's Avatar
 
PTrader: (46/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: baton rouge, la
Posts: 1,394
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danepatrick is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 05:10 AM
Banned
 
fshfanatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by danepatrick
I know what a RedBellied Piranha is thanks. I have kept them before. All he said was "redbellies" and "p". I took a guess.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mrbelvedere's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saint Joseph, Illinois
Posts: 2,783
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Your tanks sounds like a very odd idea. And unnecessary. I think the piranhas would adjust just fine to the light. And I would suggest getting an R/O unit. LA water is very hard if I rememeber, correct? I doubt some peat in the filter will make a huge difference, and I assume acidity is what you are going for.

And another thing, 2" of gravel is not enough on a 180. I cannot stress this point enough: Do it right the first time. Buy quality from the beginning, it costs less. And if you stick with the hobby, I can pretty much guarantee you will change your substrate anyway if you go with your idea, costing more money. And you idea of a dark side won't last either. So do yourself a favor.

And read this while you are at it. Sounds like you need it. www.rexgrigg.com

Get some decent substrate:http://www.adgshop.com/Substrate_System_s/1.htm
Get an R/O as well:http://cgi.ebay.com/200-g-Reverse-Os...QQcmdZViewItem

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mrbelvedere is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orange County
Posts: 418
Belvedere no clue what you thought you where doing with that post as none of it helps whatsoever.

First thing about the R/O is a waste of time, because you just assumed I didn't have one, why not sure, but like they say when you ASSume.

Second this isn't going to be some showcase of plants just a few small ones to help the overall look so with that in mind 2" is enough.

As far as P's adjusting to light is also another horribly given comment as they will NEVER adjust to the light, but instead be forced to tollorate it like trolls on a board. The point wasn't to have 1 side pitch black, but 1 side that will give them the opportunity to get out of the bright light if they choose. So 1 side with 96watts and the other with 2X as much (hope you can figure out that concept)

Also the comment about money is who cares it's just money. Since I have another 180, a 40, a 120, and several breeding tanks I usually redo each one of my show tanks every year or so anyway. Who really wants to have the same looking tank for years at a time I sure don't.

So next time you think your giving someone advice you may want to actually try and give advice instead of trying to make yourself look good which obviously didn't work either.
LGHT is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Canoe2Can's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 766
Wow. Newbie with 5 posts tells off long-time Planted Tank member. But I fail to see the wisdom of it. All he was trying to do was offer helpful advice for someone who seems to be getting a start into planted tanks.

He's right: 2 inches of substrate is not enough for growing most plants, and it does pay to buy quality the first time.

And as for your persistence that RB pirahnas will suffer horribly under high light, I don't think so. My planted 120 is home to a pirahna, and he doesn't mind the light in the least. In fact, he is much more active now than he was in his old low light 50.
Canoe2Can is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mrbelvedere's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saint Joseph, Illinois
Posts: 2,783
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT
First thing about the R/O is a waste of time, because you just assumed I didn't have one, why not sure, but like they say when you ASSume.
You say you are going to run your water through peat. Presumably to acidify and soften the water? You've obviously got the money to buy 180 gallon aquariums, make it easier on yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT
Second this isn't going to be some showcase of plants just a few small ones to help the overall look so with that in mind 2" is enough.
You asked the question whether it would be fine, and it isn't. Especially in such a large tank. I have two inches in my ten gallon, and planting can sometimes be difficult. And in case you didn't notice, this is a planted tank forum. Most of us here are into fully planted tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT
As far as P's adjusting to light is also another horribly given comment as they will NEVER adjust to the light, but instead be forced to tollorate it like trolls on a board. The point wasn't to have 1 side pitch black, but 1 side that will give them the opportunity to get out of the bright light if they choose. So 1 side with 96watts and the other with 2X as much (hope you can figure out that concept)
I keep hearing the opposite from seasoned pros. And you don't sound like a pro. Hint: the advice from the guys at Petco isn't always sound. I've seen several brightly lit well planted tanks that had piranhas. However, I've never kept piranhas, so it is entirely possible you could be right. Hope I can figure it out? I've been doing this a lot longer than you have, newbie. If you keep pissing off those who have the knowledge and experience it is going to be very difficult for you when you need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT
Also the comment about money is who cares it's just money. Since I have another 180, a 40, a 120, and several breeding tanks I usually redo each one of my show tanks every year or so anyway.
Just to let you know, your highness, most of us "common folk" don't have a lot of money, and those who do usually don't throw it around like a jackass. Most of us also don't have that much time on their hands, and I'm trying to save you some time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT
So next time you think your giving someone advice you may want to actually try and give advice instead of trying to make yourself look good which obviously didn't work either.
Now this just pisses me off. So this is what I get for trying to help a newbie? A spit in the face?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mrbelvedere is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned
 
fshfanatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,279
MrB - If he is such an expert let him figure it out himself. Since he has the money let him do it a couple times.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orange County
Posts: 418
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
You say you are going to run your water through peat. Presumably to acidify and soften the water? You've obviously got the money to buy 180 gallon aquariums, make it easier on yourself.



You asked the question whether it would be fine, and it isn't. Especially in such a large tank. I have two inches in my ten gallon, and planting can sometimes be difficult. And in case you didn't notice, this is a planted tank forum. Most of us here are into fully planted tanks.



I keep hearing the opposite from seasoned pros. And you don't sound like a pro. Hint: the advice from the guys at Petco isn't always sound. I've seen several brightly lit well planted tanks that had piranhas. However, I've never kept piranhas, so it is entirely possible you could be right. Hope I can figure it out? I've been doing this a lot longer than you have, newbie. If you keep pissing off those who have the knowledge and experience it is going to be very difficult for you when you need advice.



Just to let you know, your highness, most of us "common folk" don't have a lot of money, and those who do usually don't throw it around like a jackass. Most of us also don't have that much time on their hands, and I'm trying to save you some time as well.



Now this just pisses me off. So this is what I get for trying to help a newbie? A spit in the face?
haahah not another disgruntle guy with a few post that thinks he knows everything about a subject. Just because I asked for a few tips on substrate doesn't mean you have been keeping fish longer than me son.

Just because i'm new to the forum doesn't mean i'm new to keeping fish so again stop assuming that everyone is a newb and that I don't already have an RO or 10 other tanks for a total of over 500 gallons up and running. I would appreciate the advice if there was actually some given and not just a bunch of links from a REAL expert instead of someone who is trying to pass themselves off as one by calling others names.

You have to keep in mind that your opinion is just that an opinion and although you have a lot of post unless your writing books on the topice it's still just an opinion in my eyes. I may take your advice and I may not, but if I don't try not and get all upset.

Just because i'm not poor doesn't mean I'll buy anything under the son because it's there. I will however buy products if I have a need and since most of my tanks now have very little plants if any I just thought it would be nice to try the planted tank route, but that doesn't mean I want to have 100+ plants and go over board. It's still just a FISH tank so 2" should be plenty. If the experts actually say I need 3" then i'll do that, but not because you and your post said so. Thanks for the links they did have some good enough since you didn't
LGHT is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
JenThePlantGeek's Avatar
 
PTrader: (36/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,143
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Ok guys, let's start over.

Quote:
Would doing only half a tank be ok and would the plants still be fine?
I think if the plants had enough light (which it sounds like they would) and enough ferts (plenty of nitrate from 8 red bellies I'd bet) then you'd be ok. You'll still have to add ferts if you see a deficiency, but I bet this could work.

What kind of plants did you have in mind? You mentioned that your fish like to dig up stuff in the sand - have you considered putting a piece of driftwood on the bright side and planting it with Anubias, Java ferns or moss? This way you could just do a plain gravel substrate and not have to worry about how deep it is.

Quote:
Also would 1" of substrate and 1" of gravel be ok?
I'm not sure what you mean by "substrate". I use that word to mean "stuff that goes on the bottom", be it soil, laterite, gravel or specialized planted tank substrates. If you want to do a layer of one of the more specialized substrates made for plants (flourite, ecoComplete, ADA stuff, etc) with gravel on top, I'm not sure I'd recommend that. These are generally used by themselves and you'd have much better luck if you tried 2-4 inches of this type of substrate by itself. The deeper substrate is very beneficial for strong rootfeeding plants like swords and crypts. I have been able to grow stems like Valisneria and Rotala in substrate 2" deep, but having it half gravel would most likely pose some problems. Gravel tends to be courser than the plant substrates, which means your stems would get pulled up VERY easily without a strong base to hold them down.

If you're looking for something that will grow plants well, is cheap, and comes in great big bags (good for tanks like 180) then I'd recommend "Soilmaster Pro Select" which also comes in a very nice "Charcoal" color. It is sold by a company called Lesco and is actually made to be used on baseball diamonds - but it works GREAT for planted tanks. The Lesco site is very helpful in finding a distributor, and there should be one in most big cities.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mrbelvedere's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saint Joseph, Illinois
Posts: 2,783
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
MrB - If he is such an expert let him figure it out himself. Since he has the money let him do it a couple times.

You are absolutely right. Have fun, newbie.

And Jen, when did you become a mod?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mrbelvedere is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
JenThePlantGeek's Avatar
 
PTrader: (36/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,143
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Just today in fact


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mrbelvedere's Avatar
 
PTrader: (51/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saint Joseph, Illinois
Posts: 2,783
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
A lot of our mods have been disappearing.....I suspect there may be more to come.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mrbelvedere is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome