5g killi tank substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
5g killi tank substrate

I'm looking to start up a 5 gallon bowfront (14.25 x 6.25) Aphyosemion species tank soon and am wondering what substrate would be suitable.

I want to do a soil/peat based substrate for the acidity and tannins it would create, but so far all the references I have found for MTS result in quantities much too large for my purposes.

What's a good substrate option for a tank of this smaller size? I have 5lb of black Petco sand to cap with.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
RE: 5g killi tank substrate

Go with a peat sand mix. The thing with peat substrate is that it has to be changed on occasion as it breaks down. Check the garden section of your local home improvement store for a smaller bag of peat.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Would I just place the peat on the bottom of the tank and cap it? What peat is best to use and how often does the substrate need replacing?

O_o
\_\

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I would get some new zealand sphagnum moss, layer it at least 3 inches on the bottom and provide plenty of aeration. Introduce fish a week or two later. The New Zealand sp moss (NZSM) will be full of microscopic critters and even larger aquatic stuff. When you introduce the fish there will be plenty of live food for the parents and fry to eat. Use low light plants like Anubias, and some floaters that dont need high light.

Klaus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The way I did it was to mix the peat with whatever substrate I had. 50-50 is usually pretty good or you can change it depending on how much tannins you wanted in the tank. As far as brand stick to anything natural that has no ferts in it. Easiest place to find that would be a hydroponics shop. If you're feeling fancy you can try coco coir which is like peat but doesn't degrade as quickly, but im not sure if it gives off tannins. When I bred killies I would change it monthly, but I was using 10" cube tanks. I'm sure a larger tank would be more stable. The whole point of changing substrate is to keep it fresh to constantly have tannins in the water and it does break down like I said earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Would I just place the peat on the bottom of the tank and cap it? What peat is best to use and how often does the substrate need replacing?

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What effect does peat/coconut coir have on plant growth? Also from what I've read most people seem to suggest using peat sparingly in substrate.

Also are there any soil based options for my tank? I'm after a substrate that will produce good plant growth too.

O_o
\_\
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Peat and coco coir can be used as a primary substrate for grow out tanks. Again, it comes to preference and how your water is. I've seen people use tiny amounts and people that have had 100% peat as their substrate. Ive personally never tried soil substrates so that isn't a question I can confidently answer. I can tell you, however, that soil alone wont insure healthy plant growth, but a combination of all the components of your tank.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

According to the town tapwater report my water's TDS ranges from 351 to 774 ppm and the total hardness ranges from 186 to 426 ppm, so I intend to use half RO and half tap water. Give would a half-half of coco coir and sand be acceptable? Also what form of coco coir is best to use? Seems as if though it most commonly comes in brick form.

O_o
\_\
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you have a TDS meter you can try small amounts in different containers to see what the readings are, but that's up to you. Its a pretty experimental process to be honest. Only reason I knew 50-50 worked for me ws because several breeders were using it in my area with success. As far as I know coco coir only comes in a brick, but once moistened it'll expand to about 5x the size. There's a great vendor on eBay that I always bought the stuff from. Peat expands like coir as well but not as much.

Quote:
According to the town tapwater report my water's TDS ranges from 351 to 774 ppm and the total hardness ranges from 186 to 426 ppm, so I intend to use half RO and half tap water. Give would a half-half of coco coir and sand be acceptable? Also what form of coco coir is best to use? Seems as if though it most commonly comes in brick form.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

After reading through this thread I'd rather not go with coco coir. Still hesitant to use peat due to the needed replacement.

Anyone have any experience with soil substrates in a nano tank?

O_o
\_\
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good read. Never used coir myself. If I'm not mistaken soil substrates also have to be changed every now and then.

Quote:
After reading through this thread I'd rather not go with coco coir. Still hesitant to use peat due to the needed replacement.

Anyone have any experience with soil substrates in a nano tank?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus07 View Post
I would get some new zealand sphagnum moss, layer it at least 3 inches on the bottom and provide plenty of aeration. Introduce fish a week or two later. The New Zealand sp moss (NZSM) will be full of microscopic critters and even larger aquatic stuff. When you introduce the fish there will be plenty of live food for the parents and fry to eat.
I think I will try that with some Miracle-Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss for my Goby tank. Cheap at Home Depot. I will be topping it with Black Diamond Blasting Sand. I don't change my substrate I just put ferts in gell caps and put them under the plants. Could probably do the same with the moss.

Last edited by Hilde; 05-30-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: added text
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wouldn't use miracle grow brand. They put ferts into their products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I think I will try that with some Miracle-Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss for my Goby tank. Cheap at Home Depot. I will be topping it with Black Diamond Blasting Sand. I don't change my substrate I just put ferts in gell caps and put them under the plants. Could probably do the same with the moss.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode