What's the secret to planting with eco-complete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What's the secret to planting with eco-complete?

Hi all,

I just finished a 3.5 hour tear down and rebuild of my 10g. Wanted to switch from black sand to eco-complete as well as plant new plants.

I have the eco-complete in, but the issue is that nothing seems to stay down! This has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I'm trying to plant a whole bunch of things super close (corkscrew val, rotundifolia, bacopa caroliana) but every time I try to get my rotundifolia next to the vals, the vals fly right up.

I'm using my curved tweezers and I'm just very disappointed with how this is all happening. The tweezers keep pulling the plants up!
Should I switch to straight tweezers?

Is there some kind of technique I'm missing?

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS
5.5g Planted Tank | Betta

Last edited by goodeye--sniper; 05-27-2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: added more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
try going in at 45 degree angle with the tweezers....don't be afraid to put the plants in deep.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Fine tipped tweezers work wonders. Also, when inserting the plants, I release the tweezers while still in the substrate. Then give it a little shake so that the substrate fills in the voids left by the tweezers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've had the same problem but with straight tweezers. I found that if you dig a small hole put in the plant, and back fill it is the best way to go.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I thought corkscrew Val had to be planted pretty surface level?
And 45 degree angle with the curved or straight?

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS
5.5g Planted Tank | Betta
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just planted my eco-complete tank a few nights ago and was having similar problems. I seemed to have the best luck with planting deeper than I wanted, did the gentle shake with the tweezers to remove them, then smoothing in around the plant. Then I very very carefully grabbed the plant with the tweezers and pulled it back up to the the desired height. everything with roots seemed to work with that method. However I am still having problems with a couple of hygro cuttings that didn't have any roots at all on the lower node. I am debating if I should just float them until some roots develop down lower.

Joan

My Tank Journal:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
that gently shaking the tweezers still leaves a crater where you first impaled the substrate.

if you have any eco-complete left -
  1. plant everything you possible can, dont worry about the dimples you leave in the substrate
  2. flood the tank (or if it is flooded skip this step)
  3. get a funnel + PVC tube (something long and hollow to aim at your substrate)
  4. put the tube inside the tank while the funnel connected to it, start to pour your substrate into the funnel and aiming the tube at the areas your want to "feather in"
this also helps secure the plants with some more weight (so they don't uproot) I found this to be the best method for me
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've even held plants in place with one hand and pushed eco-complete around them, to hold them in place.

My Cory Cats can wreak havoc in some planted areas of my tank. I find I'm replanting some types of plants far more often than others. Lilaeopsis mauritiana being the biggest problem.

Thinking about it -- its the plants that don't reach down to the MGO soil level that are the ones I have to replant. If a plant can push past an inch of Eco-Complete and dig into the MGO, than I don't have to worry about it.

Father of the Princess Zelda.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode