Flora pride and Cories? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Flora pride and Cories?

I have found a good deal on this stuff, I currently have Black tahitian moon. I am currently cycled since January+. I was thinking of sucking out all the Tahitian moon, ploping the Flora pride down, then dumping the Tahitian moon on top of it. Do you wash Flora pride? I have plenty of Sand (25 pounds) for a 29 gallon. I moving what sand doesn't fit into another tank. Any tips? Does anyone have florapride? Am I better just getting[SIZE=2] API First LayerŽ Pure Laterite? Will cories be okay with the sand cap, Does this stuff sink or move? I am only hesitant because I love my cories too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eventually sand will settle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's what I was thinking. What's your thought on osmocote capsules in the sand?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

IS there any plant substrate I could use with cories? I am thinking of just getting the osmocote capsules. Also if i did decide to do a planted substrate and cap with the sand I already have, will I have to recycle my tank? Also, could I wash the substrate in a bucket to get out some of the stuff that could cause spikes in my tank?

My main problem is my sword plants are looking a little yuck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Regardless of the substrate you use (unless it's MTS/potting soil), sand is going to settle to the bottom.

Just about anything can be used with Cories. Everything from crushed lava rock to blasting grit.

When using Osmocote Plus (not Osmocote), you'll want to be wary of what seeps into the water column. Start off small with just a couple caps at a time.

Replacing all of your substrate could cause a mini cycle, yes.

Why not just add root tabs to the substrate you've already got? Place them beneath the plants that are in need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Don't worry about the cories. They do seem to prefer a soft, sandy substrate, but will work fine in everything. I have had them in tanks with lots of different substrates and they are always fine. I have never seen evidence of damage to the barbels or difficulty eating. I think the sand-only for cories myth is perpetuated by people repeating what they've heard with no first-hand experience. As long as you don't use broken glass or razorblades for substrate they'll be fine.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Any suggestions for which root tabs? I have seen first hand cories with no barbels on rocky terrain. Poor things, not a bit of whisker on them! Did you hear that Osmocote plus is begin discontinued is that true? I was thinking more along the lines of sucking out my current sand, placing the flourite black sand under it and plopping the still wet sand back on top. I think I might just stick with the root tabs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

For the most part, it seems that Cories lose their barbels when in poor/less than clean environments. Water quality plays a huge role in barbel health. Hundreds of people here on the forum keep them in rocky terrain and with sharp substrates.

As for root tabs... any that you prefer. Seachem, hydrophyte's tabs, Osmocote Plus, homemade tabs made from clay and dry ferts. It's up to you and your budget. But my vote is for making your own clay tabs or using a pre-made option that doesn't involve Osmocote (tough for beginners sometimes because it doesn't dissolve and gets messy).

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I think I'll pick up some home made. Of course I am one of those few people that like making a big mess. My hubby wasn't looking for ward to it. Oh well.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

The beauty of the mess with clay (which you can get at just about any craft store - all natural clay with no additives or plastics) is that it sames you a mountain of cash.

Make about a thousand little clay fert balls in a sitting and have enough to last for ages.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I thought they were discontinuing osmcote plus?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
They already have, Look under the Q&A in the link. http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/osm...od/prod140020/

The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal

10g NPT Betta tank

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

If you decide to go with Osmocote Plus, a single container would probably last you longer than you'll have your tank.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I hope so....I did just take some plants to the LFS. I forgot to get credit for them. O well, the owner happened to be in there and I reached in a tank to turn a plant to read the ID. He immediately sent some one over to help me. She got there, and I was already done. So she stood there, asking if I needed help. I will have to remember to get a slip for the plants next time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode