REusing AS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
REusing AS

I have search it a tad and found a couple threads about reusing AS. But they were OLD threads.

Has anyone, recently, reused theirs? I mean, like have you drained your tank. Cleaned the AS. Dried it. Then reused it.

If so, what steps did you follow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Never really rinsed it but I've drived it out and reused it. No special steps.

Whether or not nutrients are there or buffering ability exists depends upon all the usual factors, though.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
i'm in the process of sifting through some used AS for a test tank and can provide feedback likely after the weekend.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I did reuse mine (guess you can say i did a rescape).

• drained the water
  • cleaned the glass (the best i could - kept the soil in)
  • rescaped
  • flooded
What i'm noticing is alot of detritus worms (EDIT - they were prior to the rescape but good food for my fish). I haven't seen any problems with the substrate besides it being alittle dirty. Rotala Wallichii are growing fine, my inhabitants are loving the source of food on the substrate (i barely feed them).

This is about one year old ADA new amazonia just fyi

Last edited by Vermino; 02-07-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: details
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thx for the responces folks.

acitydweller, please do post your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Never really rinsed it but I've drived it out and reused it. No special steps.

Whether or not nutrients are there or buffering ability exists depends upon all the usual factors, though.
this is my concern.

the AS is only about 9 months old, if that. I am worried that the removal, cleaning, drying, and replacing it back in the tank may break the AS down into powder.

I DONT want to just leave it in the tank and moist during the rescape because if there is any algae on it i want to eliminate it and also i want to rinse the mulm out of it as well.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i recently removed AS from a shrimp tank due to predators. it dried for 3 months
i just rinsed it out and used it for some bonsai, i rinsed and dried twice. its still holding its form just fine

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
i'd like to resonate hd b's comment on Aqua Soil's durability. I am using AS from a 1 year+ old tank.

My experience with Fluval Shrimp Stratum has its ups and downs but certainly it would crumble easier than aquasoil of nearly the same age. i have carted this Aquasoil in the car for two days has sifted through it three times to remove detris and its still holding its form quite nicely. I was told this was the newest version of Amazonia if it means anything.

As for how useful the soil is with plants and possibly inverts, this will take at least two weeks to assess. Will have to take tests first to see if its viable first to keep inverts though Plants are more forgiving.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector

Last edited by acitydweller; 05-27-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: mad scientist at work :D
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
i'd like to resonate hd b's comment on Aqua Soil's durability. I am using AS from a 1 year+ old tank.

My experience with Fluval Shrimp Stratum has its ups and downs but certainly it would crumble easier than aquasoil of nearly the same age. i have carted this Aquasoil in the car for two days has sifted through it three times to remove detris and its still holding its form quite nicely. I was told this was the newest version of Amazonia if it means anything.

As for how useful the soil is with plants and possibly inverts, this will take at least two weeks to assess. Will have to take tests first to see if its viable first to keep inverts though Plants are more forgiving.
give it a month.
AND it keeps inverts very well

Sump Pimp #7

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 05-27-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: inverts
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

just a follow up on this.

i removed all the AS from my 125g tank and sifted and rinsed it over a sturdy screen a little at a time.

spread it out thin and let it dry.

I lost very little actually. I was quite suprised. And once it dried, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the used and new out of the bag AS.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice, I actually did ANOTHER rinse because of all the detritus worms but let me know how your plants fair with growth. My DHG and rotala are growing like vines still (i do dose a bit, but nothing crazy).

I would probably shoot myself if I had to replace 125 gallons tank with new substrate, especially ADA. That would be a car payment right there!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I have been redoing my 12 long, including removing, rinsing, and drying AS. This one is 2yo original Africana 'sand' that started breaking apart into dust about 6 months ago.

Just tonight I put some of it into a bowl and flooded. I am still getting a lot of dust, to the point where I just capped it with some baked clay. The dust does not stay in the water column, it eventually settles on the bottom. But even looking at the substrate creates a nuclear cloud.

Did not do any measurements, but guessing that I am down 20% by volume.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode