SubstrateSource.com Questions! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
SubstrateSource.com Questions!

I'm planning on which substrate to use on my planned 3G long tank (~18x6) with 2 inches of sub. I'm planning on getting 8lbs of black lava rock, but was wondering if there would be too many "crannies" left open. I found they also have a sand variety, but says that it is coated/colored. Would it be safe?:O Specifically for shrimp tanks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by mjbn; 05-24-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Everything they sell there are fish and aquarium safe. Just rinse it out a few times to get rid of the dust, and you'll be fine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
just a word of advice, since you are looking to use substrate in a 3 gallon, look closely at the substrate granual size. Its difficult to scale if you get large sized lava rock gravel in a small tank. I recommend their colored gravel with is like .1mm or something like that. i have the tan color which resembles sand but are larger in granual size. it looks fantastic in a small tank.
2mm size

This is the one i use:
2mm size

for comparison, here's the lava rock i think you were referring to

20mm size

"I am Groot", the faithful protector

Last edited by acitydweller; 05-25-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: adding potos

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes, I'm taking scale into account, that's why i considered the colored sand option over the lava rock as well. Thanks!

|
|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 3.8g is capped with Black Sand Substrate and Ocean Tan on the right. Doesn't need to be rinse, water was crystal clear when I flooded my tank.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's a nice looking tank, I like the cliff-edge look

If anyone else was thinking about ordering from Substratesource and getting the Dark Grey sand, they're discontinuing it and it's currently on sale so I'd go for it. I'm about to order myself 25lbs of it!

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode