Question for Aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question for Aquasoil

There is something I don't understand, since the instruction for Aquasoil is to change up to 100% water for two days followed by 50% water change for several days, why just soak the materials for a few days and throw away the socking water before use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That is what you are doing when you do a 100% water change.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Re: Question for Aquasoil

Oh geez I didn't read the instructions... I just filled with water and let the filter clear it as a test lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That is what you are doing when you do a 100% water change.
Why just sock it for few days and then put is into the tank, that way you don't have to change water that much. For a 75, it is a lot work and unnecessary.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: Question for Aquasoil

Or let the plants get a head start, slurping up all that ammonia.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
I've never done the recommended water changes during the 'cycle' process. I only swap water when ammonia concentrations exceed 5-6PPM. And even then, it's usually only a partial change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I've never done the recommended water changes during the 'cycle' process. I only swap water when ammonia concentrations exceed 5-6PPM. And even then, it's usually only a partial change.
That's good to know. It just doesn't make sense. If it leaches out ammonia and other bad things just soak and wash several times before use, why do a 100 percent water change? It is a waste of time an money. Just trying to understand the logic behind this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
There's no reason to rinse/wash it, as that will cause unnecessary breakdown. Try to be as gentle with Aquasoil as possible.

In some cases, you have to do large water changes because the ammonia levels are too high. Really depends upon the amount of substrate used in a tank and several other factors.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
There's no reason to rinse/wash it, as that will cause unnecessary breakdown. Try to be as gentle with Aquasoil as possible.

In some cases, you have to do large water changes because the ammonia levels are too high. Really depends upon the amount of substrate used in a tank and several other factors.
its tougher than most think.
i beat my soil to death with replanting and its still in its granular form

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
aquasoil, soak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode