Is this a good substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a good substrate?

I live very close to everglades ... everything here is freshwater swamp if I grab some substrate from the shore or from the underwater is that going to be OK for a planted tank?
should I wash-dry-wash-dry several time or just use it right away? mix it whit something else
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would personally be very leery of adding that to my tank, regardless of how many times you rinse it. I'd be afraid of introducing harmful bacteria and/or chemicals into the tank.

However, I'd love to hear other opinions on this, too.

My son's 29 Gallon - 1 Firemouth, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and 6 Bloodfin Tetras
55 Gallon - always in need of some new plants - 1 Pearl Gourami, 7 Zebra Danios, 3 Albino Bristlenose Plecos and 4 really old Amano Shrimp
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
First - it's not a good idea to take anything from a protected area.

Second - The risk involved when using dirt/mulm from any waterway is too high when there are perfect good and affordable substrates available all over the place.

Why not use something that you know is safe? Or something you know has a high CEC or has a high mineral content for plants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes is bad idea and is not legal but is not exactly in the everglades I myself use to work in protected areas. but here in miami we are full of channels or waterways I live les than 30 foeet from one that's what I am talking ,,,, just mentioned the everglades because is very close to where I live and the water is clean in "my channel"
sorry for the ingnorance whats is CEC...
I thought about that substrate because there are some plants living there and it look more natural ... I dont know just asking

Last edited by ernest; 05-24-2013 at 03:30 AM. Reason: lack some words
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
sun bleaching would make it safe if u can spread it out and turn it over in the sun for a few days.
it needs to BAKE under direct sun. don't mistake that. and its going to kill all the usefull bacteria on it. which will make it the same as any substrate you can buy in a store

CEC.. is cation exachange capacity. look it up on google. it plays a significant roll in the aquarium, but redox is a far more important value of substrate. CEC will come as mulm builds up in the substrate as it has a very high cec and can makeup the difference in a poor susbtrate

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
River silt makes a good bottom layer, MTS. I used American River silt as a substrate a few times, with good success. I also did the soak and dry routine to mineralize it thoroughly. The first soak did result in it smelling very swampy. The final one had no smell at all.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is this good? CaribSea Eco-Complete ...I saw it in amazon actually I prefer to get something that others have tired succefully that going and get something that who know what can bring
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm pretty sure anything from a beach in that area is going to be busted up shells and coral - pretty much straight calcium carbonate, so it will raise your pH and hardness.

I'd be hesitant about taking dirt from a wetland, I believe they tend to have a very high organic component, and usually a lot of anaerobic decomposition.

Plus, if it's from a channel, it's going to be saturated in whatever has been dumped in the water, sprayed on the land, or leaked out of vehicles anywhere upstream.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

agree just trying to be cheap ..... I guess I cant
So is eco complete good?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest View Post
agree just trying to be cheap ..... I guess I cant
I don't see why you can't use it. Hoppy and others have used dirt from a river near them. I would rinse it a few times and then lay it out in the sun to dry. Also when getting it put gloves on to prevent getting bit by something in the dirt. Should give you MTS (mineralized top soil)

I scott's top soil topped with dirt.

Last edited by Hilde; 05-25-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added text

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode