Changing standpipe design and dealing with substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changing standpipe design and dealing with substrate

So I setup my tank and was misinformed by my LFS
Now I have a tank with a substrate in place and two standpipes.
Somehow I need to silence the standpipe... but my substrate is in place and I really dont want to try and dig the pipes out.
Does anyone know an easier way to try and fix those pipes? I thought about cutting the top off of the pipes then installing a silencer but I'm not sure how to do that without getting pieces of pvc everywhere. Anyone have any experience with doing something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
A standpipe like what is used in drilled tanks? If so, I don't see why it would be underneath the substrate, but either way you can always drill a hole in the top of the standpipe. I'd start with a small drillbit and then increase the diameter until the sound is no longer noticeable.

Here's a link to the design that standpipes are most commonly known as:
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-...wn-diy?start=2
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Is the tank drilled on the bottom and the standpipes extend to near the water line and you are using a sump and these pipes serve as drains?

Cut one down about 4", cover with a prefilter sponge and put a ball or gate valve on that drain. Leave the other tall and adjust the water level using the valve so the short standpipe runs full and silent and the other is just out of the water and of course is also silent. This is the Herbie system and I am a big fan. According to Beananimal's calculator even a fairly small drain can carry huge amounts of water if run full so it is likely a single siphon would be able to do the job of two gurgly ones. http://www.beananimal.com/articles/h...-aquarist.aspx Don't just do this though, research before cutting that pipe! Of course you can just put another bit back on but be better to have a good idea this is the way you want to go.

I haven't cut PVC actually in the tank but did break out most of the overflow skimmer teeth on the reef ready tank with a Dremel resulting in a big mess. The PVC/acrylic dust won't hurt anything. It went down the drain into the sump and no issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
perhaps buried was the wrong word - the pipes are not buried but where they connect to the drilled part of the tank is buried...
Pulling a picture from the durso standpipes plans

Where the durso standpipes meets the bottom of the tank is threaded and screws in... then it converts to a 1 1/4"... then it turns into the rest of the pipe... etc, etc.
My standpipe is screwed into the bottom of the tank then it fits a 3/4" pipe.
Unfortunately, my substrate covers the screw adapter so I can't just swap the pipes without digging up some of the substrate and disturbing the plants and such.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Drill a hole into the top of the standpipe, shown by the yellow arrow in the pic. If I recall correctly, I drilled two 1/8" holes into the top of my standpipe, taking all of 15 seconds to silence my overflow.

Also, how did that much of your substrate end up in the overflow box to begin with? Or do you not have a box covering the standpipe? If you really wanted to get it out of the box, you could unscrew the standpipe underneath the tank and slide it up and out, then pour water into the box (with a bucket underneath the opening) to wash out the substrate. That way you don't end up with an incomplete seal on the bulkhead gasket.
Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode