ADA Aqua Soil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
ADA Aqua Soil

I would like to purchase a bag of ADA Aqua Soil for my already established 10 gallon tank, can somebody please answer a couple of my questions:

1) Will adding the Aqua Soil to my tank cause an amonia spike, even though the tank has been running for months?

2) Will a 3 liter bag be enough for a 10 gallon or should I go with a 9 liter bag?

3) Can I take the water down and just add the soil

4) Do I really need the Power Sand, and

5) I have soft water (GH 40) will this be a problem?

Many thanks is advance for any advice!
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:14 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
you should not see an ammonia spike.

a 3L bag should be enough for a 10gal, but I would buy the 9L, you'll get a better value, and have some extra just in case.

adding AS to the water directly will not cloud the water, or it didn't when I did it.

Powersand is absoultely not necessary, but some people really like it. Why not give it a try? Then, you too can throw in your own input as to what you think about the product.

Here in foggy San Francisco California, we have very very soft water, never had any problems with AS and softwater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
you don't need PS, and you can just pour AS in. It shouldn't cause an ammonia spike. My KH is only 40 (2.25 °dH) and I only need to add baking soda every once in a while. My pH did drop about a full point. You should only need the small bag.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I have actually heard reports of an ammonia spike. Nikolay told me that. It doesn't happen in many bags, and once it goes away it isn't a problem anymore. Just cycle it normally as you would with plants and you should be fine.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
ive setup 7 tanks now with aquasoil, have not recorded an ammonia spike yet. If you put the soil in an already setup and cycled tank, I bet the spike would appear more as a 'bump'.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
Ammonia spiked in mine when i set it up. though in an already established cycled tank i dont see it to be a problem as there should be plenty of growing plants and bacteria to consume it. spike seems to happen on newly setup tanks that are not cycled yet. if you do get a spike, just add fast growing plants like foxtail or najas and it uses it up fast. once it goes down, it doesnt spike again.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I add some mulm and filter pads from another tank.
No issues with a resolution of 10ppb +/- 5ppb.
That's probaly 10-100X more accurate than your best test kit.

PS and AS have about the same initial NH4 readings.

You can dump AS directly into a tank with water/fish already in it if you want.
You cannot do this with PS, the peat will be lost and most of the nutrients will end up in the water column, it's a mess.

So you have to completely drain the tank to switch over to PS+ AS.

I've done 3 tanks with 50% water change, then dumped it right in.
Tank ran like nothing happened and then started doing better with the ADA AS.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I dont have much to add regarding PS + AS- everyone already summed it up.

Only think I would like to say is- i would redo the tank fresh and not just dump the AS into the tank with water already in it. You will get some clouding of the water.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You've all been great, thank you so much, I am on my way over to ADS to order a bag now. I don't think I'm going to add the PS but I will check back here and add my comments on how the AS is doing in my tank.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...l-9-liter.html

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am also interested in switching over to ADA.
I have a 20 gallon tank and I won't be doing this until I get back from vacation (21st) but what I had planned to do right now is drain as much water from the tank into a large bin and move all the fish and shrimps and plants into that bin. I have a spare heater I can use to keep the water constant. Then, I want to drain the rest of the water and remove as much gravel as I can, leaving some in the bottom. Then I'll place the soil in the tank and slowly fill up tank again until there is enough water to replant the tank. Then I was going to start transferring the water from the bin back into the tank and place the fish and shrimps in there to...top it off and run the filter and heater. How does this sound? Again, sorry for hijacking the thread...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos05
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am also interested in switching over to ADA.
I have a 20 gallon tank and I won't be doing this until I get back from vacation (21st) but what I had planned to do right now is drain as much water from the tank into a large bin and move all the fish and shrimps and plants into that bin. I have a spare heater I can use to keep the water constant. Then, I want to drain the rest of the water and remove as much gravel as I can, leaving some in the bottom. Then I'll place the soil in the tank and slowly fill up tank again until there is enough water to replant the tank. Then I was going to start transferring the water from the bin back into the tank and place the fish and shrimps in there to...top it off and run the filter and heater. How does this sound? Again, sorry for hijacking the thread...
I think that's a waste of time.

I would tear down the tank. keep the fish in a separate bucket.
Take out the old substrate and clean the tank, and replace with new substrate.

I would not add the fish until a few days or even a week later. AS can really lower the pH dramatically and could hurt or even kill all your fish. pH can drop as low as 4. after a few water changes pH should stay closer to 6.

I would also make sure the tank is well planted- this will help speed the process up and able you to add the fish back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode