"ADA Aqua Soil new Amazonia" in lowtech. bad idea? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
"ADA Aqua Soil new Amazonia" in lowtech. bad idea?

i want to switch from plain gravel to some sort of soil for my non-co2 2wpg tank.
as of now its plain gravel,
no3=10ppm,
po4=0.5ppm,
PH=7.2
kh=7
gh=7
dosing daily NPK, liquid carbon, micros

would it make more sense to go for clay based, micros only like JBL AquaBasis
or
ADA aquasoil new amazonia wich as i understand contains macros also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: "ADA Aqua Soil new Amazonia" in lowtech. bad idea?

IMHO, AS grows great plants I would certainly recommend it. You do need to know some of its peculiarities: most people do a lot of water changes in the first couple of weeks, like 50-80% daily, especially if you also using PowerSand. I followed the same process with my very first AS tank and it was a pain with a 65g. With my last 4 AS tanks I did not use that practice but started with a ton of plants and seeded filters with no problems.

It does break down over time, but the amount that did over the last 2.5 years for me is negligible.

Many people complain that AS is to expensive. Once you figure out that AS us sold by volume and not by wait, you will find that filling a specific tank with AS costs pretty much the same as any other 'commercial' substrate, kitten litter, pool sand, MTS excluded.

I now use it exclusively for all my tanks, hi or low tech untill I find something better.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i could live with the pricing (altho it is a fact JBL is 3x cheaper)
im just was worried since the tank is lowtech (= slow growth) i could run into nutrient excess.
Also just to be clear, im supposed to use aquasoil without pure gravel/sand top layer, right ?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Don't want to get into a debate but JBL Manado, depending upon your retailer, is roughly the same price as ADA Aquasoil by volume. There may be a couple euro difference but that's it.

There's no reason to put anything on top of Aquasoil. If you used sand, it would settle beneath the Aquasoil.

You wouldn't have excess nutrients in the water column when using Aquasoil. Nutrients remain in the soil and are slowly released over time. Thousands of people use ADA substrates in low-tech tanks - often for shrimp, which are extremely sensitive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok thanks, then ill go for it. btw that is a shrimp tank im talking about

just calculated the volumes and it appears i will get 3.5cm (1.4inch) soil thickness with one bag. do i have to buy another bag(which doubles the costs) or can i live with layer that thin? or maybe i can put plain sand below it

Last edited by dzega; 05-20-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
You'll be very happy with the Aquasoil. As a bonus, you don't have to add an ammonia source to cycle your tank because the soil leaches its own.

After 4-6 weeks of cycling, your tank will be perfect for shrimp.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode