Best substrate for Glosso and HC? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best substrate for Glosso and HC?

Hi, im glad to be on the Planted Tank because the resources here are great. My question is what is the best substrate for Glosso and HC? Im using flora-base right now and i have a 28watt coralife light on my 10 gallon. A few months ago I tried planting my HC in a few clumps and they either lost all their leaves for some reason or simply just lifted out. I eventually lost all of it before I could do some major emergency replanting. I said forget HC and moved to glosso, samething happened. Will Eco-complete solve my problems because I see many users with eco complete with beautiful set-ups. I also have 1 betta, 9 Cardinals and 2 rummy-noses in the tank. I dont think over stocking is an issue since I have tonnes of other plants in there. Or is there any other way of succesfully planted a beautiful carpet plant? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:50 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Both plants need good light, CO2, and ferts. Are you suppling all of the above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120
Both plants need good light, CO2, and ferts. Are you suppling all of the above.
Im running the 28 watt coralife PC light 9 hours a day. Im using pressurized CO2 with 1 bubble every 1 seconds approx, through a glass diffuser placed at the bottom of he standard 10 gallon tank. And im dosing Flourish and Flourish Excel every 3 days. Sorry to miss that info before. Any suggestions are welcome.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Algae Eater

How are the other plants doing? You need to dose Nitrate, phosphate and potassium as well

|
|
|
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
How are the other plants doing? You need to dose Nitrate, phosphate and potassium as well
The other plants are fairly easier to grow. I have some pearl grass thats has just recently started to turn a bit yellow. My dwarf hairgrass is growing really slowly, I think something is wrong there, but it looks normal. And all the other easy plant like the java moss and anubias are fine. Are there any all-in-one fert packages I could use to dose what you listed above? I dont really have the time to buy the powders indivudally and make it myself.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Algae Eater

Sound like you need to dose to me, with a 10 gallon tank you could use the Seachem line of ferts. Get nitogen, phosphate, and potassium, there is even a dosing regimen on seachems site. How often are you dosing the flourish?

|
|
|
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sound like you need to dose to me, with a 10 gallon tank you could use the Seachem line of ferts. Get nitogen, phosphate, and potassium, there is even a dosing regimen on seachems site. How often are you dosing the flourish?
Every 3 days, regular Flourish and Flourish Excel.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
it would take no time to mix those, and on a ten gallon $30 or less would get you close to two years of ferts!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by badren
it would take no time to mix those, and on a ten gallon $30 or less would get you close to two years of ferts!!
Im kind of a fert noob. Do I just go to the hydroponic store and ask for nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium in powder form? And what steps do I take next?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:18 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can get the ferts from www.gregwatson.com
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You can go to the DGSS (hydroponics store) and get KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4.

Take a few minutes and read my Guide. It's all covered in there.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Ive had glosso with flourite and it grows just fine.

Ive had HC with flourite and it doesn't spread as well. It started to grow into mounds rather than spreading.

You should not have any problems growing either plant with flora base.

Honestly I think you need more light. Other people may say different but
2.8wpg in a 10gal tank may not be cutting it for HC and glosso.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use aquasoil and 2.6wpg and my glosso's carpet nice and low....
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustbran
I use aquasoil and 2.6wpg and my glosso's carpet nice and low....
what size tank was it?

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
HC and Gloss do excellent in ADA aqua soil.
One client has a lawn of gloss in 1.5 w/gal of NO FL's in a 28" deep ank growing very well, a old SFBAAPS member, Steve has the nicest looking gloss with plain sand and 2.1 w/gal on NO FL's.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode