What is too fine for substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
Question What is too fine for substrate?

My question is.......

Is the rule with fine substrates that the only reason people dont go smaller strickly to prevent anaerobic pockets?

What makes me ask is they are repainting the lines and markings on the streets near me and I noticed that they were using a HIGHLY reflective silicate of some kind on top of the paint to make it reflect.

I noticed that the leftover on the ground spread out around it made these beautiful refracted light rainbows and got to thinking.....IF i could use that as a substrate not only would it be beautiful BUT might reflect some of the light back towards the plants making my lights more effective.

The only downsides I can think of would be mulm build up on the surface and possible anaerobic pockets. Which both should be able to be fixed with MTS and turning the surface during water changes.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
See my Guide. I have a picture there that is the smallest you would really want to go with.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
That looks like borderline gravel to me. Now if only the finish stuff like that came in something besides blinding white. I picked up a bag for a 3 gallon critter keeper recently. That light color is annoying.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
I have seen the guide rex and I used that information when I set up my 20 gallon.......I love the way this silica sand looks

I was just wondering as to what are the repercussions of using a finer substrate other than the ones I stated.........
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Compacting is the biggest problem. That and fish [censored][censored][censored][censored] sits on top along with everything else.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247Plants
I have seen the guide rex and I used that information when I set up my 20 gallon.......I love the way this silica sand looks

I was just wondering as to what are the repercussions of using a finer substrate other than the ones I stated.........
The only thing I don't like about light colored substrates is they can reflect so much light back up that it can be annoyingly bright to look at the tank. For this reason, I prefer darker substrates or plants.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
With all the stuff that would immediately start collecting on top, I don't think it would be pretty and reflective for long.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode