Substrate advice for 125g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to therizman1 Send a message via MSN to therizman1
Substrate advice for 125g

I am going to be setting up a 125g planted tank in about a month. I have used eco-complete in the past and never had any complaints (I am not new to plants, just new to keeping them alive and seeing them grow ). I have enough eco-complete between my 55g and 75g for the 125g with maybe need one additional bag at most.

After reading many reviews, my question is whether it would be best to stick with the eco-complete in my 125g, or get Soilmaster Select Charcoal (easy to get for me, I live 10mins from a Lesco and actually got 3 bags already for my 180g I am setting up as well) or would the ADA Aquasoil Amazonia be better. If you could give me reasons as to why you say whichever you do as well I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Soilmaster is better because it is cheap.

Aquasoil is better because it grows plants best.

Eco Complete is better because you already have it and just need to add a bag.

It all depends how you define "better".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I like the look of Onyx sand. That said, hard water is a non-issue for me. It might be for you.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I would stick with the eco. It works well and you already have it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to therizman1 Send a message via MSN to therizman1
Very true. Was just wondering if it would make a big improvement in my plant growth if I was to get the ADA Aquasoil (would get the power sand as well to go with it... might as well do it right).

Filstar Pimp #68
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Big improvement with Aqua Soil?

I would say the plants will get off to a great start with Aqua Soil. It is nutrient rich and plants really seem to love it. I think plants will "catch up" in other substrates eventually, but no substrate gives plants the jump like Aqua Soil.

I think Power Sand is great as well. It is like a big, biological media mass for your substrate. Kind of like the ceramic noodles or bio-balls in a canister filter.

Now, that endorsement being said, there is an instance where I would not use Power Sand. I would not use Power Sand if I did not have a distinct aquascape in mind. Why? Well, the ADA substrate system is a layered substrate. Bigger grained Power Sand on the bottom and finer grained Aqua Soil on the top. Some folks will even use the super fine Aqua Soil Powder on top of that. Now, the natural occurance would be for the finer particals of substrate to work their way to the bottom of the aquarium, and the larger particles of the substrate to work their way to the top. If you have a planned aquascape in mind, and don't imagine yourself pulling up and moving plants very often, if at all, you won't be shifting the substrate around and mixing up the layers. You would be utilizing the ADA substrate system as it was designed. You would also be maintaining the asthetic of the substrate. The larger grains of Power Sand remain on the bottom of the aquarium where they belong. That is important as Power Sand is large grained pieces of vermiculite, coated with peat, Bacter 100 and some other nutrients and minerals. Vermiculite is white, the dark color on the Power sand is a result of the coating. So, if you pull up the Power Sand and the coating wears off, you'll have.........bits of white substrate all about.

As far as price is concerned, Aqua Soil is very comparable to the other substrates available (with exception to Soilmaster or 3M Color Quartz). It matches up in price and quantity to Flourite and Eco-Complete, thanks to the efforts of Jeff Senske and ADG, so it is super affordable.

If you haven't really decided on an aquascape design and have heard all about ADA substrates and want to give them a try, by all means go for it! ADA is the best substrate I have ever used! Just skip the Power Sand. You will still have a magnificently nutrient rich, biologically active substrate. You will still experience great plant growth.

If you have decided the ADA substrates/substrate system is for you, then I would recommend doing as much reading on the products as you can. The substrate is unique, so there are some things you will/may experience with ADA substrates you will not experience with other products.

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode