Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil........ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil........

so i got yet another tank for free, 30 gallon with on cichilid(SP?) but the tank was in bad shape needed cleaning, and get rid of the green/white/marbles/trinkets that were in the bottom of it, along with the castles, and cheap decor... it does not have a hood or lights (YET), but it came with a hob filter, along with a strange sponge filter as well.. well it was free so i cant complain... but any way i was goin to do a potting soil/sand topped substrate for it, and went looking for the sand , and top soil.. while i was at home depot looking at top soil, something caught my eye, and it was shultz's aquatic plant soil.. it kinda looks like eco complete, but a brown color, not quite as orange as flourite.. anyways this stuff looks awesome. i bought 4 10 pound bags for 6.83 each. well i rinsed the first 2 bags , and droppped them in the tank. the water is a little clouded but clearing up as i type this. i thought that i would use all 4 bags for the 30 gallon being that its supposed to be about a pound per gallon, well that was way wrong it only took 2 bags to get almost a 3 inch layer in the bottom of the tank , and i am looking forward to seeing how well stuff grows in this substrate.. i wil try to get a picture of it once it isnt clouded, and post it along with updates to this thread... see ya soon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:00 AM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Shultz is a cheaper why around buying more expensive substrates. I have been using shultz for over 6 years and it does the job.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I use shultz also, its just an alternative before I start spending much more money on ADA Aqua Soil. I will probably keep my shultz when I upgrade to ADA Aqua Soil, and use it in maybe another tank or something. I have about 5 bags of it, only used 4 bags in my 50g.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
yeah it almost looks like a brown version of eco-complete, and feels the same as it , and plants just about the same as far as i can tell. i like the fact that it rinses easily, and well 2 bags in a 30 gallon long tank is quite a bit of planting soil. the other 2 bags i have are replacing the flourite in the 10 gallons , and what ever else is left will be goin in the 50 gallon with the eco to add some bulk with out adding cost, and i think the colors will mix well enough that i am no too worried about it looking funny..i may even pull some out of the 30 gallon cause there is alot in there, and add it to the 50 gallon as well, but we will see .. what kind of results have you guys seen with it ??
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I used a bag of it in my 10 gallon without rinsing it, just filled it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y , and also capped it with about an inch or so of some nice natural, fairly fine gravel that I found at the LFS. I like it.

Slinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 04:46 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used it. Plants grew fine in it. I didn't really like the single color. I prefer the more natural darker mixed color like flourite. (person preference) Dirt and gunk shows up more when the subtrate is a single color. It shows up much less on a more natural looking gravel.

The biggest thing I didn't really like about the aquatic plant soil was that it was way too light weight. It didn't take much of a water current to blow the stuff clear across the tank. Also it didn't anchor plants as well as heavier substrates.

I've also had plants grow fine in painted aquarium gravel, which is heavier than the aquatic plant soil, but shows off the dirt even worse.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hello everyone, I'm a new member.

I'm just starting out on my first planted tank - a 25g. It's cool to see so much knowledge about the subject in one place.

I'm trying the low tech method as a way to get my toes wet on the cheap. I've decided to give shultz's a try because of the price and people seem to get decent results.

In another thread, Homer Simpson suggests mixing 75% shultz's with 25% gravel to address the low weight issue mentioned above. I'm trying that with a 1/2" layer of gravel to top things off.

A note of caution may be in order when washing this substrate (and possibly others). The Shultz's had a lot of fine dust, so I used a spagetti strainer with an old t-shirt inside as a wash filter. I did this in my sink and didn't have adequate ventilation or wear any type of protective glasses. (I ride motorcycles as well, and aquarium setup should be very safe, no?). A few hours later I had a strong allergic reaction with my eyes that was very painful till I could get to the doctor the next day.

It's hard to say that it was a direct result of the dust, and I'm not suggesting that the product is potentially more dangerous than others.

Kind of a fluke thing perhaps, but wearing safety glasses, using a fan or being outside might be a good idea.

Last edited by motoNC; 05-13-2008 at 02:41 AM. Reason: spellen errars
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use shultz currently in 2 tanks. 1 of the tanks is low tech natural(I do NOTHING to this tank and it's thriving). The other is high tech co2 with all the dosing, etc. I have exceptional results with it in both tanks.

The one negative that I do have, is the same as the others. It can be a pain to plant in due to it's light weight. Other then that, it's good stuff.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Does Shultz lower PH? soften water? just like peat?

Do!Aqua Mini-M Shrimp Tank

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've heard mixed reports, but Shultz is supposed to be inorganic, mostly just "dirt" so shouldn't impact water parameters.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 02:27 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luichenwai View Post
Does Shultz lower PH? soften water? just like peat?
yes it lowers ph!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
I used a bag of it in my 10 gallon without rinsing it, just filled it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y , and also capped it with about an inch or so of some nice natural, fairly fine gravel that I found at the LFS. I like it.
ime, you can expect your gravel to slowly sink, leaving the shultz on top. the more you uproot, the faster it sinks.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I had a little problem with planting because of it being light, but once planted they stayed put as long as i kept my hands out of the tank. here is an old tank of mine that i used schultz in.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...ed-4-23-a.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode