ANOTHE aquasoil post - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
ANOTHE aquasoil post

Well, I finally ordered my aqua soil, and finalized what peices of driftwood I wanted in the tank, now to find a bit of slate, and a ton of other things, but atleast I wont be looking at a bare bottom tank shortly. Just for reference, it ran around $183 for five 9L bags of Amazonian shipped to FL from their main site. It would have run me $180 for the Eco plus shipping. Not a bad deal.
Does anyone know approxamately how to figure out how much it will drop the ph of AS volume to water volume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
really depends on your water parameters, but when i started a 15g with one bag amazonia, and high ph (8.2-8.4), KH (10-12), the ph dropped to 6.5 and the kh to 2 as well. added co2 (1-BPS) for the plants and it dropped to ph: 5.8, kh 0-1 so i had to scale back the co2 dramatically. not sure how long the effect is (Jeff at ADG is probably the best to ask). also, watch that initial ammonia spike, for like the first 2 weeks, my ammonia went off the charts (it did settle down in the 3rd week with the addition of many floating plants to 0) again, Jeff is the best guy to ask.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool, Ill be sure to ask. I ended up going with 5 bags for a 75 hoping to have some extra to play with. As far as water paramiters, I had mine tested today (out of the tap) and got a ph of 8.4, kh of 75, and a gh of 180. They must have changed something because our water here used to be REALLY hard. Im still trying to choose all my plants, starter plants, and fish. Im most likely going to go with one of Rex's controlled regulator setups. Just trying to take it slow as to avoid alot of mistkaes.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:35 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
You are going to have to play the pH thing by ear.

As already mentioned, your existing water parameters are going to be the biggest influence on pH drop.

I would set the aquarium up with the Aqua Soil and skip the CO2 injection for a couple of days. Monitor the pH several times until you get a grasp of where the pH is going. Once you get that feel, you should be able to inject CO2 and manage the pH level.

Mike
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
if there is no fauna for the first 2-4 weeks as recomended due to the ammonia spike, then why would you have to worry about ph and co2? Just pump that co2 in there heavy. Plant very heavy and give it at least 2 weeks. Preferably 3-4 weeks. Make sure you do the weekly 50% water changes. Twice a week if you can would work better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:30 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
it also may be a good idea to avoid putting in any delicate fish/shrimp for the first week or so, or at least until all pH flux minimizes.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
chiahead and aquanut have good suggestions. I have been adding Amano shrimp after about a week with no issues at all. I start CO2 after about 24 hours, again with no issues. I don't test the water because that always seems to complicate my life, so based on observation, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Now, you didn't use the Power sand, so I would advise adding something to (mulm, etc.) to get your biological filter happening. Otherwise, the initial "start-up" variables will likely last a bit longer. Part of the use of Power sand is to create a "living substrate"-- one that fosters and nurtures microorganisms and nitrifying bacteria. Oxygen is indispensible for these microorganisms to propagate, so the substrate must be highly water permeable and maintain good circulation. A real symbiosis exists too between these mocrorganisms and plant roots. So long-term it makes sense, but in the short term-- and relating more to your question (sorry for the digression!) things tend to stabilize and get going faster when the substrate is used as a system (Aqua Soil and Power Sand or some substitute).
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhavoc
really depends on your water parameters, but when i started a 15g with one bag amazonia, and high ph (8.2-8.4), KH (10-12), the ph dropped to 6.5 and the kh to 2 as well. added co2 (1-BPS) for the plants and it dropped to ph: 5.8, kh 0-1 so i had to scale back the co2 dramatically. not sure how long the effect is (Jeff at ADG is probably the best to ask). also, watch that initial ammonia spike, for like the first 2 weeks, my ammonia went off the charts (it did settle down in the 3rd week with the addition of many floating plants to 0) again, Jeff is the best guy to ask.

My amonia is spiked up pretty high, could it be the aquasoil????The tank is about 2 weeks new......I hope it settles soon or is there anything I could do to drop the spike besides just waitng?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Planted Member

Did you use Power Sand? Just trying to get a feel for if these elevated levels for sustained periods is related to using AS alone. POwer Sand Special has lot going for it in terms of helping to get things stabilized faster (namely Bacter 100 and Clear Super). Could it be Amano developed it as more of a "system" for a reason?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Algae Grower

no pwersand, I had extra flourite that I added to the bottom and the top is all aquasoil....
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Have you been doing large weekly water changes?

If you set the tank up correctly, => good high CO2, other nutrients, then you should not be able to measure any NH4, poor cheap test kits can make a lot of work for you unecessarily also by giving false readings, neither AS nor PS have very much leachable NH4.

So if the plants are provided with good nutrients, good CO2 and light, they will suck up any and all NH4.

This is not only true for a new tank, but any tank with lots of plants...........
I live 20 minutes from you BTW.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Algae Grower

hey tom, I have only done one water change recently because the tank has been setup for only about 2 weeks. I have about 13 stems of rotala greens, some dwarf sag , eleocharis acicularis, and glosso in a 30 gallon long. I did just get over some green water but bought a uv to take care of it. GW is gone now. But my amonia levels are pretty high stll. shouldn't it have gone down already? A week ago I usedsome biraspira bacteria starter. I have diy co2, 2x39 t5 HO lights, and dose flourish excell and kent freshwater plant every otherday. I am just cornfused with the amonia levels??????
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the tank is going to be set up with just the AS and water (filtration included) for a bit before I add anything. This will give me time to figure out the end product plants (like THAT will stay true to the end ) , the stocking list I would like, and to get the remaining stuff I need (co2 syster, ferts, sump set up. Granted, nothing will be added untill I know what the water will stabilize to, and I triple check everything i want will mix.
There has been one thing I was wondering. Fast growing stem plants have been recomended for initial stocking, but in place of the stem plants, would a moss wall work? Im thinking Christmas tree moss. Would it be sufficient to remove amonia, nitrite, and nitrates, or is there another reason stem plants are recomended? Thanks for all the help and advice.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:17 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustbran
hey tom, I have only done one water change recently because the tank has been setup for only about 2 weeks. I have about 13 stems of rotala greens, some dwarf sag , eleocharis acicularis, and glosso in a 30 gallon long. I did just get over some green water but bought a uv to take care of it. GW is gone now. But my amonia levels are pretty high stll. shouldn't it have gone down already? A week ago I usedsome biraspira bacteria starter. I have diy co2, 2x39 t5 HO lights, and dose flourish excell and kent freshwater plant every otherday. I am just cornfused with the amonia levels??????
Only 1 water change in 2 weeks?? You need to be changing 30% water every 5 days or so for the first month.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

Actually today will mark 2 weeks and I am doing the water change today...I do em every wednesday...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode