Important! HELP! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
Important! HELP!

so all my fish and frogs and shrimp are safe in a huge bucket with an airstone and two plants and some of my old substrate. all my plants and snails in a 2nd bucket.
the problem is that my new flourite substrate is in the tank with a couple gallons of water, and it's ridiculously cloudy! i rinsed it a couple times, and i put a plate in the bottom of the tank so when i poured some water in, it wouldn't cloud up or ruin my aquascape so far. it didn't work. how long am i going to have to wait before it's clear enough to put my plants and driftwood and rocks in? is there anything i can do?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You need to rinse that stuff a ton if your don't want it to be cloudy.

I would take all that water out and start over,
but really just trickle the water in...
or take the substrate out a rerinse.
If you have a Magnum HOT,
I've had great luck using their micron cartridge for
cleaning the murkiness out.
LOVE JBOT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

is there something i can buy at my LFS to get rid of the cloudiness? on the Fluorite bag it says something about that. it also says that it's pre-rinsed (yeah right) and that it will take 2-12 hours to clear.

also, i read that if you rinse it too much, you take out a lot of the important nutrients, so i didn't want to overdo it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Tut tut. You should have read my Guide. I have rinsed many bags of Flourite and never one had cloudy water after I learned how to rinse the stuff. It's all outlined in my Guide.

Quote:
also, i read that if you rinse it too much, you take out a lot of the important nutrients, so i didn't want to overdo it.
Where ever you read that was completely and totally wrong. And if I were you I would never again trust that source. You can't rinse the nutrients out of Flourite unless you manage to somehow dissolve it totally during the rinse process.

If you use my method you lose the dust and keep most of the fines. I think people mean that if you rinse it you will lose the fines which they consider to be superior for some reason that totally escapes me.

On the microscopic level at which the plant roots interact with substrate grains it doesn't make a lot of difference in the size of the grains.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so i rinsed it for another hour and a half or so. i repeated the same process again, and this time it was only mildly cloudy. is there anything i can do to clear up that last little bit of sediment?

my driftwood is in now, and if all goes well, i'll be planting tomorrow.

by the way, i believe my fish love the airstone, despite the temporarily cramped living quarters.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Did you read my Guide? Did you rinse it properly? I have never had any cloudiness at all when I rinse Flourite.

Improper rinsing methods merely waste water. The secret is to give the dust somewhere to do. My method provides that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i did not use your method. all the hardware stores were closed here by that point. i got it pretty good though, and this morning my water is fine.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

here you go rex:

i am pretty sure the cloudiness is at acceptable levels. i'm stopping by my LFS today to pick up some of that bacteria jumpstart product in case my biofilter didn't make it unscathed and some water clarifier recommended on the fluorite bag. i have a decent amount of air exchange, but i'm considering dropping in the airstone that i bought for the transition because the fish did very well in their super-aerated bucket. good idea or not?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Noobinator,
I just did the same thing about 2 or 3 months ago. I had plain white gravil and changed it out for Flourite. What I did was buy a plain 10 gallon tank for I think it was $9.00. I put in all my plants and fish etc. and as much of the tank water as I could. I removed nearly all the rest of the water down to about 1 inch over the gravil. I then scooped out the gravil trying to keep as much of the mum as posible. So I ended up with about 2 or 3 inches of water still in the tank with the mum. I then poured in all the flourite that I needed right out of the bag. I think it was 3 bags. I very carefully added a little water trying not to disturb the flourite as to keep as much mum under the flourite as posible. I added enough water to cover the flourite for about 5 inches and then syphoned it back out. I did this about 3 or 4 times until the water looked fairly clean. This keeped all the dust etc under the flourite. When I was satisfied with the water, I then put back the water plants and fish etc from the 10 gal. So as I planted only a little bit of the dust came up and quickly vanished. The water was a little cloudy but not bad. The only trouble I had was the good bacteria. I added BioSpira I think twice and did water changes every few days or so if needed because of a little cloudy. Not much work. Just had trouble getting the bacteria back up and doing its job. BioSpira works but it will take a few days though the package says imediately.
I hope this helps all those who choose to change there gravil.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks! yeah, i'll look for biospira at my LFS. i have the same biofilter media and some of the water in the tank is from before the switch, so hopefully with the bacteria boost, i can get things back to normal. i've been putting in a plant every couple hours and waiting for the cloudiness to go away, and then doing it again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode