planting on driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
planting on driftwood

is there a tutorial out there to do this and have it look good? i got a nice piece to celebrate my new substrate. it's been soaking for a day or two now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Except for the esthetics of it, there isn't much to learn about growing anubias or Java ferns on driftwood. Those plants naturally grab onto the wood with their anchor roots, so all you have to do is temporarily hold them against the wood for a couple of weeks or so. I use rubber bands, but cotton thread also works, except for being harder to do. I suggest not trying hairnet - that can act as gill nets for the fish.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't like the look of thread, so I just use superglue to initially hold the plants to the driftwood. You just need a couple of dots of superglue to hold the rhizome to the wood, then rinse under COLD water and the glue will be instantly cured and safe for the fishies.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennett
I don't like the look of thread, so I just use superglue to initially hold the plants to the driftwood. You just need a couple of dots of superglue to hold the rhizome to the wood, then rinse under COLD water and the glue will be instantly cured and safe for the fishies.
thats a pretty good idea! I did that for corals and such, i wonder why i never thought of it for plants. I've been using twist ties up till now
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Its pretty much self explainatory "tying to wood". There are different methods which were already stated above. I use cotton thread for like mosses, hairnet for riccia, and fishing lines for anubias. Although I may start to use zip-ties for anubias and hairnets for riccia and mosses.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode