switching substrate in a cycled tank
so i'm getting rid of my cheesy "clown puke" colored substrate (as it's been called in the photos section), and bought 21 pounds of flourite. what's the best method of transplanting substrate? this is what i plan on doing:
1. i have a 3 gallon bucket that i'll put my rock pieces and plants in. getting all the shrimps off of the decorations is going to be a pain.
2. i have a 5 gallon bucket that i'm going to temporarily put all my critters in with existing tank water. i have an airstone and air pump for the bucket in case this takes a couple of hours.
*by this point my water should be partially drained, and if needed i will drain it down to a gallon or two*
3. put my biofiltration media in a plastic bag, so it remains partially wet and still gets oxygen
4. take out old substrate and slowly dump the flourite substrate into the bottom of the tank.
5. slowly pour in the water from the plant bucket and place all rocks/driftwood, and then aquascape the plants
6. reintroduce the fish to their new home
how's that sound?