Sea sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Sea sand?

After thoroughly washing and rinsing and then some, do you think sea sand is safe to use in a planted tank?

I know it doesn't have nutrients or CEC, but for some "beach look" tanks, where you don't want plants in that part anyway...

Would be easy to get just the right grain size for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bits-O-Shell tend to mess with water chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
After thoroughly washing and rinsing and then some, do you think sea sand is safe to use in a planted tank?

Moved to Tucson.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Ah yes, didn't think about the calcium bits 'n pieces... Maybe okay for my future Amano Shrimp Growout Saltwater Tank project.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
sea sand will raise the kh , I would use it in a saltwater tank only. You may be able to find some inert silica free sand like for a sandbox or pool filter.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
What's wrong with hard water? Unless this is a Tonina/Eriocaulon tank I wouldn't worry about it.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Well... my kH is already 10, so I wouldn't want to add any more degrees.

For soft water, I guess it would work better. Or ARLCs. Or Amano shrimp babies.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I assume there is a limit on how hard and alkaline water can get.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest

I know it doesn't have nutrients or CEC, but for some "beach look" tanks, where you don't want plants in that part anyway...

Would be easy to get just the right grain size for me.
I've used the corse sand at kennedy beach. Size can vary from large pebbles (10mm) to small (2mm). The beach kind of seperates it like a gold pan. It's a strange place.

We went there as kids and picked a couple of bags worth. I also used it a couple of tanks later in life with plants, didn't know anything back then though. It takes some time to clean but there are some cool colors and some jade in the mix. Yes inevitably there is some beach washed glass frags but those are inert.

I wouldn't do it again because of the reasons you mention. If your already using hard water any more calcium wouldn't be a good thing. I'm in the same boat, rock hard water.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
I assume there is a limit on how hard and alkaline water can get.
I think you're right. I use argonite sand and dead coral base rock in my wife's snail tank. (When you tear down a big reef you have to find something to do with all that $$ substrate and base rock ) GH and KH both stay a consistant 18-22 degrees, just like out of the tap. PH is a steady 8.4, very close to tap parameters. Her snails have great looking shells

And yes, my well is under 140' of limestone.
And yes, using it is horrible.
Welcome to West-by-god-Virginia.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhil
GH and KH both stay a consistant 18-22 degrees, just like out of the tap. PH is a steady 8.4, very close to tap parameters. Her snails have great looking shells

And yes, my well is under 140' of limestone.
And yes, using it is horrible.
I will not complain about HW ever again. My hats off to ya for keeping anything alive...

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
You can use sea sand, that is if you pick the correct kind of sand. The white or golden sand which can be found on vacation beaches is not suitable as it is made of crushed lime from rivers or sea corals. However, some sea sand consist mainly of other minerals, for example silica and volcanic silt, thus more suitable. The silica gravel in all my tanks is taken out of the sea bed, and there is no hardness issue to it. It is even better because some sea sediments tends to be rich in nutrients and washing does not throw them away completely (but will get rid of all salt). Just dont get the lime ones (easier said than done )

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhil
haha! My brother used to live in Paintsville, Ky and work in Kermit, WV. He used to talk about West-by-god-Virginia and I thought he was making it up. Apparently not. sorry to thread jack. I was just surprised to see this phrase.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman
You can use sea sand, that is if you pick the correct kind of sand. The white or golden sand which can be found on vacation beaches is not suitable as it is made of crushed lime from rivers or sea corals. However, some sea sand consist mainly of other minerals, for example silica and volcanic silt, thus more suitable. The silica gravel in all my tanks is taken out of the sea bed, and there is no hardness issue to it. It is even better because some sea sediments tends to be rich in nutrients and washing does not throw them away completely (but will get rid of all salt). Just dont get the lime ones (easier said than done )
You know, that makes perfect sense. I wasn't really thinking about using the white or "golden" sand, but the one that is a colorful mixture of various types of minerals. Lots of black, red, green and some yellow and a big part transparent (quartz?). I know it sounds funny, but that is how it looks from close-up. Thanks for the heads-up, I had already scratched this as hopeless idea. But it would be easy to wash, then let stand in water for a long time, with the occational stirring, to see if the kH goes up over tap water levels.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrimpster
haha! My brother used to live in Paintsville, Ky and work in Kermit, WV. He used to talk about West-by-god-Virginia and I thought he was making it up. Apparently not. sorry to thread jack. I was just surprised to see this phrase.
I think everyone who lives around West Virginia call it that, the folks born and bred here don't seem to like it

I'm from Loudon County Virginia (moved here for the tax breaks and to retire in the country) and it's what I've always heard it called.

Just like daFrimpster I apoligize for tracking it off topic....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode