Total plant noob!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Total plant noob!!

Hi guys!

I've been lurking in the invert section so I could get some ideas for a shrimp tank in my Fluval Spec 5..

Sorry for the noobness, but I would likw to know if I could use sand as a substrate for rooted plants?

My one of my concerns is that they would't recieve any nutrients from the sand, and having me to dose things like excel, florish ect..

My second concern is that if I dose these supplements, the shrimp might die off (read that that could be a possiblity)

I would definately like to get a Finnex FugeRay 16" and (possibly) put in a CO2 kit.

This would be a shrimp only tank.. and I'd like to heavily plant it

Something along the lines of this tank

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=236074

Thank you,

EDIT: OH OH OH and my anacharis seems to be getting clear leaves at the top.. does that mean it's time to dose some ferts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't know about anacharis, but most ferts won't kill shrimp. If you use EI they won't. The sand is fine if you use something like grō soil tabs, and maybe osmocote capsules. Otherwise sounds like a great setup!

ADA Gentleman #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDzeke View Post
I don't know about anacharis, but most ferts won't kill shrimp. If you use EI they won't. The sand is fine if you use something like grō soil tabs, and maybe osmocote capsules. Otherwise sounds like a great setup!
What does EI stand for?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isujustice05 View Post
I see the dosing are specific compounds, not like excel, florish ect. Why is that?

Where does one get dry fertilizers?

I did some googling, and saw some greg watsons brand, but couldnt find a link to purchase from them.

Last edited by Dc2die4; 04-29-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: clarify
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2die4 View Post
I see the dosing are specific compounds, not like excel, florish ect. Why is that?
Rather than using commercially available fertilizers, using the basic chemicals is a much more economical method of giving the same nutrients that plants require.

Quote:
Where does one get dry fertilizers?
There are several users that sell them on the forums. You could also check local agriculture or hydroponics stores.

Quote:
I did some googling, and saw some greg watsons brand, but couldnt find a link to purchase from them.
Greg Watson is not a brand, but a person that (I believe no longer) sells fertilizers. There are many other users on these forums that sell fertilizers.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode