Help for a sand newbie? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help for a sand newbie?

Hello, I have had freshwater tanks for quite a while now, but have always gone with gravel. I would like to change the look of my 10 gallon but am not sure as to what type, color, or grade to use. I currently am not planning on using any live plants in this tank. I have heard that sand gets dirty overtime or that it doesn't conceal waste at all or even that they lighter weights get sucked into the filtration. Are there any guides with pictures and descriptions (sort of a how to?) that I could look at? Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 09:46 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you plan to plant. I highly suggest seachems onyx sand! It's a black-dark gray color. I wouldn't recommend playsand but some people have had sucess. I tried it on my 72 gallon and it wouldn't settle at all. I had to remove all of it which took qutie a while.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
It will harden your water. And it looks cool. Also kind of pricey. I'm redoing my main tank to have it as a substrate.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
In my Guide I have a picture of the SMALLEST sand you would want to use.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'd like to reiterate that I do not plan on planting any live plants in this tank. I saw the recommendation for the sand size on your guide. I like the consistency and coloring as well as the size. Is that available at any fish store or is that the pool filtering sand or play sand I've heard mentioned in the substrate forums? Any other suggestions on good sand ideas would be great. Once again though, I'm not planting anything in this tank, Thanks again!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
That sand is available at my LFS. Not sure if it will be at your LFS. But it's just a basic sand that's widely available on the west coast (comes from California). Check places that sell sand blasting supplies.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 AM

One thing that wasn't brought up though... If you have one of those fish tanks where you have to scrape the glass due to algae, you will be very pissed at the sand over time. Sand will get under your scraper and put a huge scratch in your glass eventually, if you scrape often. This type of problem would really be frustrating if you are forced to experience it.

Sand is pretty heavy outside of a fish tank, but at the very bottom of your tank, the sand kind of flows like a liquid. Also, things accumulate on top of sand that you normally don't see with a larger substrate.

Just my 2cents before considering this for a substrate if you haven't tried it before.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode