my first planted tank, Eco complete vs ADA Amazonian? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
my first planted tank, Eco complete vs ADA Amazonian?

hey all, i have no choice but to order this stuff online as my LFS doesnt sell anything,

this is my first planted tank, i will need enough to do a 75 gallon tank.

money is an issue as i just spent close to 400 dollars setting up my co2 system...

i WILL fork out the extra money for ADA if you suggest i do, but i would prefer a VERY effective, but cheaper alternative.

any suggestions for me? how many bags of ADA (9 litre bags) or bags of Eco Complete (20lbs per bag) would i need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
I use floramax/root tabs in my smaller tanks and a half floramax/half inert with root tabs in my larger tanks (all journaled below) with no issues and decent growth across the board

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Algae Grower

I was in your place exactly about a year ago. I chose the cheap option and wish I didn't. Honestly, I would go the ADA route if you want to do it right the first time. I've used Eco-complete, floramax, and ADA. I just rescaped my 75 with Aqua soil ( after using Eco, Floramax, and fluorite in my other tanks and Floramax in my 75) in it 3 months ago. I will tell you the difference in growth is astounding. But, Eco or fluorite with route tabs and dosing isn't a bad option either ( I've also had good results with both my 75 and smaller but not what I was looking for , and especially not as much as I have now with Aquasoil. ) I guess, if your willing to spend the extra bucks, go the ADA route. But the Eco/ fluorite route isn't a bad second either. Also how many bags of aqua soil depends on whether you want to use power sand and the powder form with the normal, and your desired depth.
Honestly for me my vote would be
1. ADA aquasoil
2. Flourite ( I feel is preformed better with column dosing and root tabs than Eco)
3. Eco-complete
4. Floramax which is mentioned above ( though cheap, it is complete inert)

You learn something new every day

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i really need to do alot of research on substrates now, ive spent 2 solid weeks reading nonstop about co2, i know NOTHING about substrates, and ferts

so what your saying is, do it right the first time and just get the ADA aquasoil? if so i will just do it right the first time and buy the best to have the best results,

do most people just use the aquasoil, or do they add stuff to it? in the 75 gallon tank, i want to have a sloaping hill on one side, and then just a regular ammount (3 inches?) at the end

can i use JUST the aquasoil in the tank for the substrate and nothing else? is that benifitial? will 4 9 liter bags be enough?

i really want this setup to be amazing, ive spent 400 on the co2, itll be 150-200 for the substrate... and then im not sure what else i will need from there, i also have to read about fertilizers and such, im so lost right now haha. there is SOOO much knowledge one has to know it seems, i will get there eventually!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

best deal i can find in canada online for 4 bags is $223.96 after shipping and tax

WOW!

im almost positive im probably wrong with my thought of 4 bags will be enough.

Edit: just found a better deal 3 bags for 120.00 so i could get 6 bags (9L) for 240.00 plus shipping and 12% tax for living in BC haha

Last edited by CanuckGame; 04-27-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: made a mistake
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGame View Post
but i would prefer a VERY effective, but cheaper alternative.
Amazonia substrate 9 liters for $47.95
Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix 30 liters for $8

I'm just saying.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgriz View Post
Amazonia substrate 9 liters for $47.95
Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix 30 liters for $8

I'm just saying.
+1 for the dirt
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

does someone have instructions on how to use the miracle grow? will my plants benifit as much from it as the amazonia? im just scared itll turn into a mud pit and look unattractive.

but that price sounds pretty damn sexy to me hahaha would save me a ton... can you guys tell me, or show me a thread on how to use the miracle grow properly?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
There's a lot of dirted journals

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (77/97%)
make your own mineralized top soil, then cap with eco complete.

cheap and just as effective as ADA and wont turn to mush.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGame View Post
best deal i can find in canada online for 4 bags is $223.96 after shipping and tax

WOW!

im almost positive im probably wrong with my thought of 4 bags will be enough.

Edit: just found a better deal 3 bags for 120.00 so i could get 6 bags (9L) for 240.00 plus shipping and 12% tax for living in BC haha
6 bags is definitely enough. I used 5 bags to get a nice slope for me. You could just get away with 4, if you like a shallower substarate. I used power sand in my 75, it really helps anchor my swords down. But thats all it does really... The powder version is just for astetics. And the new Amazonia (from why I heard) dosnt turn to mush as easy as the earlier versions. But of course, I'm not on that time period to pass my judgement on that.

You learn something new every day

Last edited by quietace; 04-27-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Sentence
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post
make your own mineralized top soil, then cap with eco complete.

cheap and just as effective as ADA and wont turn to mush.
thanks for the tips guys, this is really helping

do you have a article or a post i can read up on that will tell me how to do the mineralized top soil / cap with eco complete?

if i can save money but STILL be as effective as the ADA then i would rather spend less as im really breaking the bank with this next project so far.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
There are a couple of threads about mineralized soil in the sticky at the top of this forum.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
my first planted tank, Eco complete vs ADA Amazonian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchlights View Post
+1 for the dirt
Have you ever used Amazonia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'd go with Amazonia, easy to use, looks great, and grows plants well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode