Ada Aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ada Aquasoil

I am in the process of setting up a 47G here in England and am looking in to getting the best substrate for the best price.

I have found a supplier of ADA AQUASOIL and am trying to figure out how much i will need for a 3-4 inch layer in a tank that is 101cm long and 41cm deep to see if this works out cheaper.

Also if i want to layer POWER SAND with the AQUASOIL would i just substitute a bag of the soil for a bag of the sand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I believe 3 or 4 9 liter bags would do it for normal amazonia and maybe a bag of power sand special, but a word of caution on the power sand...

I wouldn't use it in a tank that isn't going to be somewhat untouched in terms of replanting and moving stuff around. If this is a "show" tank that will remain fairly static in terms of planting, fine, use it, and only but it in the back, and do not extend it to the sides. Stay about 3" from the left, right, and front of the tank with it.

Also, I don't know how much you know about ADA products, but power sand isn't sand. It is small pumice type material, slightly smaller than a common marble. Their decorative sand is more like beach type sand...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply, I will take the power sand under advisement then as im sure I will be constantly moving things around.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
basically, one 9-liter bag of AS is the same as two bags of flourite. DO NOT use the power sand - it is big and lighter in color and will always always work itself up to the surface, spoiling the effect. You get the same benefit sprinkling the bottom with a little peat.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
a lot of people in our club using powersand put a stainless steel mesh (similar to galvanized metal screen) inbetween the aquasoil and powersand to avoid pulling up the powersand.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The mesh sounds like a good idea on the surface, but I wonder what do you do if plant roots get under and around the mesh?

How do the members of your club address that issue?

Mike
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 03:50 AM
planted tank sickness

simply tug gently and trim the roots that get caught up in the mesh.
Easy peasy.
However, in a tank I had setup prior to the notion of using the mesh with aquasoil and powersand, I initially had a problem with the powersand coming up during replanting, but now its just not an issue (just doesn't come up to the surface, not sure why).

mesh works good, some will say powersand is a waste of money.... although im not gonna get in the middle of that arguement again.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 03:52 AM
planted tank sickness

did I say arguement??

I really meant discussion.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
"Debate" is better.

Why not place the PS is a mesh bag?
Why does it need to be mesh SS?
Anything that will prevent it pulling up is doable that does not rot.

My question is why even bother with that whole issue to begin with?
No one's shown that it does really help any more than adding KNO3 which does not require SS nor cost much.

Simpler solution.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Annual breakdown

I read on another site that the Aquasoil breaks down and needs to be replaced every year or so, Is that true?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
planted tank sickness

it most defintely does break down.... the exact time frame over which the transformation occurs? Not sure.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
it most defintely does break down.... the exact time frame over which the transformation occurs? Not sure.
See, now I have heard the opposite.

Can we get Jeff Senske to weigh in on this one?

Mike
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
ADA aquasoil will break down with excessive pressure on it. If you take some and squeeze it in your hand it will crumble. In the tank if there is not alot of disturbing of the substrate it should last for quite some time. How long? Who knows I guess that depends on what the substrate has to go through.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
I have to agree with Andrew and I use it in all my tanks. It does break down, but it may take more than a several years to do it. Chiahead is right as well, I think it will last longer the less you disturb it.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 AM
planted tank sickness

I will take some pics of the substrate in the process of breaking down later tonight if I remember. The individual "grains" are indeed soft, and can easily be squished between fingers into little pancakes. Two grains can be smooshed into 1 as well, to try and give you an idea as to the texture. I have been using aquasoil for about, 7 or 8 months, and the breakdown is clearly visible in the front of the tank, about 1" below the surface.

Whether or not the beneficial properties of the aquasoil on our plants are effected by the physical properties of the actual soil, who knows, I kinda doubt it. It seems more likely to me it has to do with what the plants have removed from the substrate via feeding. But, the physical properties of the soil itself seem to already be changing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode