Tetrapond Aquatic Compost - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Tetrapond Aquatic Compost

I have been reading the low tech natural planted tank experiment at the practical fishkeeping website

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...g.php?blogid=7

Part of the article advises the use of Tetrapond aquatic compost as a base layer. This idea intrigues me as for 25 Litres of this productthe cost is £10 ($20).

I have been toying with the idea of using Eco complete but in the uk this is £25 per bag ($50) and would be very expensive to 100% Fill my new 47GAL.

Does anyone have any experience using Tetrapond or any thoughts opinions?

The below link has a pretty good description of the product

http://www.everythingforpets.com/tet...398.dept.1093/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Planted Member

I think a compost type substrate is more appropriate for low-tech/lower growth setups that require less maintenance.

A high-tech/higher growth setup may disturb the compost through maintenance and root growth resulting in migration i.e. the compost entering the water column and resulting in clouding/possible nutrient overload.

It's certainly cheaper that ADA Aqua Soil + Power Sand though.

So I guess we need to know what kind of setup you intend running.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Be aware there is a huge difference between the average pond and an aquarium. What works in one will not necessarily work in the other.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well basically I have a Juwel Rio 180 Ready and waiting to become my one big tank instead of multiple smaller tanks, I am contemplating going for a low -tech planted tank with this but also increasing the light and maybe a small DIY C02 set up as I want to go low tech, but the higher end of low tech if you know what I mean.

I have been trying to find a way to get a good substrate at a reasonable price.

I have to honestly say based on my reading and advice given that I am definitly thinking of just biding my time a little bit more and going for either Eco-complete or ADA aquasoil as I am, as im sure most people are, a bit of a fiddler and the idea of constantly disrupting layers of substrate makes me think being cheap is going to cause me more headaches than a little bit of patience and the increased cost of the single substrate I want.

Just wanted to add George that your threads and tanks have been a bit of an inspiration, there seems to be a lack of great planted tanks with UK owners and yours was one I always admired.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode