Cap experience - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cap experience

Hello!

I am currently running a couple of dirt tanks with sand as cap, both tanks are running good but i have a couple of conserns i am thinking of regarding sand vs gravel cap.

In both my tanks there is a build up of gas pockets under the sand, these gas pockets get farly big beafore they have the power to get up trough the sand cap. And when the gasses pull through the sand there always are big bubbles rising trough the water column. This is not a big problem, but my question is how is this when using gravel as cap. Is the gasses only then rising through the water column in small bubbles? Is the gasses getting through the gravel cap in a earlier stage? And is there any benefits using gravel instead of sand when it comes to gas build up under the cap?

I also have some cyano bacteria on the sand in one of the tanks, i guess there is easier for the cyano bacteria to grow on sand beacuse gravel would let the waste sink down in the substrate.

Any experience?

Jnad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 AM
Algae Grower

Hmm... well I think the gasses release sooner and easier with the gravel, since gravel doesn't pack down as tight as sand. Plus I'm not a fan of how the dirt sits on the sand after pulling up a plant. But that's a different story :p
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

1) Fast/additional circulation help create a vacuum for gas exchange with substrate.

2) I've definitely noticed more gas pockets in sand heavy tanks, but gas pockets create anaerobic conditions for plant soluable uptake of elements, Fe specifically. And ultimately in vegetative growth.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
1) Fast/additional circulation help create a vacuum for gas exchange with substrate.

2) I've definitely noticed more gas pockets in sand heavy tanks, but gas pockets create anaerobic conditions for plant soluable uptake of elements, Fe specifically. And ultimately in vegetative growth.
Beacuse of my bad English i have to ask, do you mean that those gas pockets have a positive effect on the plants?

Jnad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode