eco complete STILL corrupted? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jimjimson Send a message via MSN to jimjimson Send a message via Yahoo to jimjimson
Unhappy eco complete STILL corrupted?

are there still random bags of crummy eco out there, or have they put out a new bad batch?

i just got two bags of eco complete ( from aquatic warehouse ) and it looks like a baby vomited milk in my tank. i've been doing water changes all day and it, well, it still looks like a baby vomited milk in my tank.

are other people still getting bad bags, or am i just unlucky?

someone really needs to start selling that delectable aquasoil in san diego...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Who knows. I would take it back for sure. But consider testing your phosphates. That will be very evident if you are an unlucky recipient of some of the old stuff that was "corrected" with a pH buffer using phosphates.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Uhh I think so. I bought two bags recently.
It may have been old stock sitting around the lfs, but the manager assured me its new...so that must not be the case
I have this yucky milky film on top of my water when I started filtering it.

Uhhh I just tested phosphates and I have 0.5-1.0

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Jim,
As mentioned, check your PO4. Mine were above 10ppm after a 50% water change and near 10ppm after the second water change.

If your bags are contaminated, don't contact Aquatic Warehouse...contact Carib Sea directly. They are quite responsive and will ship you new bags directly.

As for Aquasoil in San Diego...I'm working on it. The owner of one of the shops is supposed to contact me this week.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jimjimson Send a message via MSN to jimjimson Send a message via Yahoo to jimjimson
thanks guys. of the 10 test kits i have, the only one i can't find is phosphates. i'll have to swing by petco tomorrow to pick up a new one.

if you manage to get aquasoil in san diego, i would love you forever.

eco complete seems to be 90% fine powder and 10% giant rocks now adays. the evenly sized gravely goodness of aquasoil would be a sweet change of pace.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What should your readings be if its bad? 10ppm+?

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I recollect the white water wasn't just on top, but permeated the whole. If you are below 1 PPM, you should be OK. There are two really big old threads, and the second one details the phosphate buffer fiasco. Here is the link.https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...=Corrupted+Eco

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, thank you!
I dont have anything (livestock) in the tank yet and it was filled with RO/DI water. I was puzzled by the readings.

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:28 PM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
A friend had a bunch of the stuff with the high phosphate problem and carib-sea shipped her several new bags to replace them. No questions asked.

I think she ended up capping some of the old stuff with the new stuff.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
all i know is that my 10 gal, w/ eco-complete, never turned white or anything like that but my tank water has been extremely hard. the pH of my tap water is 7.2 and the pH in my tank is over 8 by the end of the week and i have CO2 so who knows how much PO4 is being leeched into the water? plus last week i changed out 4 gallons tank water for 4 gallons RO water and still by the end of the week the pH is up over 8. gah. eco stinks!

dont forget the size difference! i have a couple huge pieces, like 1/2" in size, a whole bunch of medium size pieces 3/8-1/4 " that is messing up my gloss patch and the rest is really really tiny pieces that all sank under the bigger pieces.

i've been thinking about buying some ADA aquasoil for a while now.. or maybe just doing some soil/sand/peat/mulm type of substrate. its just that my tank is doing pretty well despite the hard water and i dont want to disturb it. blah.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:05 PM

i just got 5 bags of eco-complete for my 75 gallon and they were all fine
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyP
all i know is that my 10 gal, w/ eco-complete, never turned white or anything like that but my tank water has been extremely hard. the pH of my tap water is 7.2 and the pH in my tank is over 8 by the end of the week and i have CO2 so who knows how much PO4 is being leeched into the water? plus last week i changed out 4 gallons tank water for 4 gallons RO water and still by the end of the week the pH is up over 8. gah. eco stinks!

It should stabalize after 3 or 4 water changes, if not sooner. Troubling at first for sure. I soaked my latest Eco for 3 weeks in 5 gallon buckets doing weekly water changes there to alleviate this problem, which I have experienced in the past. You can pull out the really big chunks, FWIW.

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

the tank in question has been running since april 22nd so thats been about 6 weeks/waterchanges. the thing that bothers me the most is that i remember this substrate being advertized as water softening stuff. they said that it replicates amazon conditions. i was busy as heck his weekend so i missed doing my waterchanges (doing them when i get off work) but i did manage to chack my pH this morning and it was about 8.6 ! how can they call that amazon conditions?! thats like saltwater pH!!!
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (138/100%)
haha so i finally found the thread about the ec phosphate problems. i should've returned it the minute i found out my bag was milky. i bought it a YEAR ago but i bet the stock is old. it would too much of a headache to return the bags, reaquascape (not to mention i threw away the bags) at this point. DOH!
how does this work- the substrate has been in my tank for a year (which means ive been doing a lot of water changes at this point) but my phosphate level is sky high? if it's supposed to go away within 3-4 water changes... hmm?
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyP
the tank in question has been running since april 22nd so thats been about 6 weeks/waterchanges. the thing that bothers me the most is that i remember this substrate being advertized as water softening stuff. they said that it replicates amazon conditions. i was busy as heck his weekend so i missed doing my waterchanges (doing them when i get off work) but i did manage to chack my pH this morning and it was about 8.6 ! how can they call that amazon conditions?! thats like saltwater pH!!!
Oh dude, that is a drag. I had that happen on one tank too. But I think it will start to come down soon, hopefully. Its for that reason I opted 100% flourite on a newish 65G. But I put some Eco I soaked for three weeks in a bucket with 50% LFS gravel in a 26 gallon and no probs there. It must be spotty QC on Caribsea's part. If it doesn't change soon, I'd email Caribsea. They'll send you new substrate no questions asked free. At least its only a 10G.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode