How deep can I go with substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
How deep can I go with substrate?

So outside of my other project that I've got coming up this summer I'm planning one other tank.

I want to kind of have a rolling bottom with depths of substrate up to 6" in some places. Will this be ok, is there something special that I have to do in order to go that deep in places? Can I just put it as deep as I want? Are there special considerations/cleaning that I will have to do?

Just want to make sure because this tank will be my first tank build this summer and I want it to look good because it will be in a prominent position in my apartment.

Thanks in advance...

PS I'm planning on using a floramax type sybstrate I really don't want to use dirt or sand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Six inches of substrate shouldn't be a problem.

To make things easier, you could use lava rock (the kind that comes in a 50lb bag for $5 at the big box hardware store) to help build up your slopes. That'll help maintain their structure and allow you to use less substrate.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
At my LFS, the owner tells me to have 1 inch of substrate per 10 gallons of water. I don't use that much or follow that rule hardcore but I do try to give a generous amount of substrate. Second on the lava rock idea I have tried it and it worked well. I grabbed a 25 pound bag for 3.98 from Home Depot

|

|

RAOK Club #72

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Thanks for the advice xD ill check that out tonight On my way home. Is the rock chunky or more flat?

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
It's the kind used in landscaping, so pieces will range from dime-sized to a bit larger than a quarter. Really great for building up hills and slopes.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode