changing to flourite, help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
changing to flourite, help!

Well, I want to change my gravel to flourite, but the tank has already been set up for 2 years, how should I take to old substrate out and put the new one in, without killing the fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
how big is the tank?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

one thing about flourite, its very dusty. I saw alot of people having problems with cloudy water but when i used flourite i didnt have any at all and this is why:

i used a brand new, white bucket, a strainer and a 2nd bucket. put some flourite into the strainer and run water over it and catch it in the white bucket. you should be able to see red in the water. dump out the bucket and repeat until you see no red in the water at all. then just dump the rinsed flourite in the 2nd bucket and grab some more flourite from the bag and keep going. pretty simple.

the bucket i was using was about 4 gallons and the strainer held about two double handfulls of fourite. i had to fill the bucket about 7 or 8 times for each load in the strainer, and the bag of flourite filled the strainer probably 10-15 times, at least. just to give you an idea of just how much rinsing is necessary to have no cloudy water.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the advise. It's 10 gallons. How should I take the old gravel out, should I remove the fish?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah definitely. with a tank that small its easy to save the old water. the easiest way to do this without buying another 10 gallon tank would be to siphon the old water into a bucket and catch all the fish and put them in there. try to save as much of the old water as possible in jugs or whatever you can find thats clean. hookup the filter to run on the bucket during this whole ordeal. have the flourite all rinsed and prepared before you start with the tank. scoop out alot of the old gravel but i would leave some (a handfull or two) still in there. put the rinsed flourish on top and smooth it out w/ your hands. if you had any plants, this would be a good time to re-plant them. then use a plate and slowly pour or siphon some water back in until its about half full. catch the fish out of the bucket and put them in the tank. you shouldnt need to acclimate them as long as you used the old tank water that you saved from earlier. depending on the amount and size of the fish you may or may not want to re-use the water from the bucket. either way, topping off the tank with fresh water is probably a better option. that should be it. good luck hope this helps.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
put the rinsed flourish on top and smooth it out w/ your hands.
Do you mean flourite? Could I do it without bying another 10g, but useing 2 5g buckets?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:38 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Could I do it without [buying] another 10g, but [use] 2 5g buckets?
I think that what Sammy meant. You don't have to buy another ten gallon tank. Basically all you need is a container that will hold the water from your ten gallon tank and large enough that the fishes could freely swim in it and also room for your plants and decoration (driftwoods, rocks, etc.). Using the filter will help aerate the water and help the bacteria in the filter from dying. Saving some of the old gravel is a way to save all the beneficial bacteria and introduce it to your new substrate--this way you don't have to cycle your tank again.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
You may want to check out the 6th paragraph on Rex's site for rinsing Flourite.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/substrate.htm

The 5 gallon paint straner worked great for me (6 bags). When I filled the tank, the tank was pretty clear, plus you get to keep all the fine particles. The paint strainer is like a dollar, and you can rinse about ½ a bag at a time. One of the most important things is not to get to tough with it, or you will create more dust. YMMV

Walter

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Last edited by tazcrash69; 05-24-2006 at 08:39 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
I changed the substrate in my 15 gallon high, at first I left the fish in there, but after the water started to cloud from just the mulm in the old sand, I removed the fish and all the water I could into buckets along with an air pump and a heater. and oh don't change your filter pad durning the set-up! And I used an old tea container with a spout to shovel the old sand out to replace it.

It will be the best time to scrub off any algae on the glass all over. Wish you the best of luck!

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Use a clean cooler and run the filter in the cooler as the others have mentioned...just siphon the water out...stick the plants and fish in there too. Yes...take the fish out.

Follow Rex's advice on preparing the fluorite...it is a frustrating experience, but you'll enjoy it in the long run. A small tank like yours is a piece of cake compared to setting up a 65g tank! good luck!

Re-boot!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
It will be the best time to scrub off any algae on the glass all over.
I'm one of the lucky people tat doesn't have algae.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gaboozlebag
I'm one of the lucky people tat doesn't have algae.
Lucky Braggart!

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll buy the flourite this weekend, and start.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
...dump out the bucket and repeat until you see no red in the water at all...
Okay, so the dirt and clay particles are not things you want to keep? I kinda assumed that sinced there was so much of it in the bag, and it was especially for planted tanks that you were supposed to keep the smaller particles.. of course now my tank is a big murky mess :P

Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning out a murky tank? I've done a couple gravel vacumes, and started running the filter (although i'm a little worried this might put excessive wear on the filter). any ideas?

Thanks,
keith
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
If you dont have a diatom filter to polish the water and remove the fine particles, just running your filter will remove the particles that dont settle back to the aquarium floor.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode