Is there a to fine of a sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is there a to fine of a sand?

The tank is 2.5 gallons. The sand is white and very very fine. I have two plants and some shrimp in the tank and plan to add more and some shrimp.
My question is. Can plants be grown in this sand and can it harm shrimp or snails?

Water is cloudy from starting cycle not particulates

Last edited by ChadKruger; 04-21-2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Adding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
you'll prolly have to dose nutrients for the plants. it won't harm the shrimp or snails
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pictures

Last edited by ChadKruger; 01-09-2015 at 12:40 AM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

More pictures

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Last pic

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of sand is it, and where did you get it ?

The shrimp & snails will be fine, but you'll likely need to use root tab ferts to grow your rooted plants.

Last edited by discuspaul; 04-21-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: adding a sentence
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This sand. Will feet tabs harm shrimp and snails. I would ei dose but dosing a 2.5 tank with anything alive makes me nervous.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Root tab ferts will not harm shrimp or snails.
EI dosing will not introduce anything alive into your tank, so you don't need to be nervous about it.
I see the sand is labeled "Nature's Ocean" - but I've never heard of it and still do not know what kind of sand it is. Is it mainly for marine tanks ?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's very very fine. I'm guessing its marine sand but is that an issue for my plants? It says aragonite sand from the ocean. It's been heat cleaned says the package.
The ei dosing with anything alive I meant live animals in tank. I have the dry ferts to ei dose. I have them for my 40 gal planted but for a 2.5 I'd be nervous killing stuff
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Opae Ula Crazed.

Re: Is there a to fine of a sand?

Aragonite sand is calcium carbonate. Most of our shrimp require pH on the acid side. This will raise the pH quite high.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;29 gallon Endler's only;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

;
; 10 gallon Opae Ula tank, started Nov 21, 2012.

Now... I'm out of room!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
If your tank isn't cycled, you'll need to remove the livestock. Shrimp are super-sensitive when it comes to ammonia and nitrite and they need a well-established tank to live well.

You'll also want to heed Rob in Puyallup's advice. If that's aragonite, you're going to have a pH and hardness that could end up being too high for even basic Cherry Shrimp. Using an inert sand would be a better option.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just noticed I said I have shrimp in it. I ment snails and plan to add shrimp. It's not cycled though but I did use water from my planted tank I took a bio bag from my 20 gallon and placed it in the tank and a air stone on opposite side to aid circulation so it should cycle quickly.

Ill check the ph as Rob sugests. Is there any sand that is like the one I have in there that's not aragonite? I really like the look of it.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

I'm no expert, but I think a lot of folks use "pool filter sand". I think silica sand is the type of sand that you want. Silica sand is available in a bright white color, but you might have trouble finding it.

I know glassblowers use high purity (low iron) silica, but it may be ground too fine for an aquarium. It comes in various "mesh" sizes, I have some 200 mesh and it is fine like flour. You can find silica at pottery supply companies.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Note that using water from an established tank doesn't do much for bacteria population. Bacteria grow on surfaces and very little of what you're looking for will be present in the water column. Moving filter media from an established tank will speed things up.

You should be able to pick up inert white sand at any pet shop. Or spend $5 to buy 50 pounds of pool filter sand.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes, there is sand that is too fine. Silt is one type. Any sand that is 1mm or less. Such a fine sand can compact do to settling the build up of detritis and over time not allowing water to circulate.

This thread might be useful
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86199

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode