Where to find "WHITE" sand...? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to ADHybrid
Where to find "WHITE" sand...?

I've seen a few of you have VERY white sand and I'm just curious as to where you got it. I'm actually planning on using i for some south american cichlids so I can't have anything calcium based but I'm assuming the stuff you guys are using isn't calcium based either. I've seen some play sands and they're mostly tan rather then white. If anyone knows a brand or type of sand to get that would be great. Thanks.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Maybe pool filter sand is what you are looking for. White and pure silica.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim
I bought a bag of really white play sand when I was in NY with my cousin. I havent seen it at my home depot but it was snow white.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
Recently I bought a bag of silica sand from the local Lowes for $5.99....It's pure white and only took about 10-15 minutes of rinsing to be crystal clear
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247Plants
Recently I bought a bag of silica sand from the local Lowes for $5.99....It's pure white and only took about 10-15 minutes of rinsing to be crystal clear
I have had the same in a Cichlid tank for a few months, and the fish love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Planted Member

Yea but what is the result with plants? Don't you deal with anaerobic pockets? I've always wanted to do sand but the uncertainty with plants has kept me away...

Dwarf Gourami, Cardinal Tetras, Julii Corydoras
Coralife T5NO (2x28w), DIY Yeast CO2
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
First off...Supernaturals makes a sand in Black or White (and I believe the white is really bright white). It doesn't affect Ph at all.

As for anearobic bacteria. I never had a problem with this. I use a heater cable which goes underneath the sand and the heat current brings nutrients throughout the substrate. Also if you keep corys, Khuli loaches or anything that digs a little, you won't have a problem. In my original tank with sand, I got even better faster growth out of my plants than in flourite (with the ease of moving roots in the sand I guess).

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:51 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The quartz silica sand at HomeDepot does work great. It is very bright, because it has a ton of the actual clear quartz crystals in it instead of the darker grains. If you choose to use this in your tank, you should at least consider the garden hose rinsing method:

Fill about 2 inches of sand in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Place a full out garden hose into the bucket to super-circulate the water. If you keep your hand inside the bucket, you will know when the lighter particles are suspended in the current, and then just dump that off into your yard. Do this two or three times. After a good few minutes, of doing this with a few bucket loads, you will be left with the real heavy quartz sand that is very big grained.

The stuff is so cheap, you won't feel bad discarding quite a bit in the form of suspended light grains.

Once you are done with all of this, the sand that is left over, makes a very fun substrate for a planted tank. I have had tons of fun with runner plants being able to propogate through this easy substrate, and they spread real fast. Stems with roots are nice too, because you can just "brush" them down, and the roots get under, to where the want to be.

PS: Though, I don't think this is a good first time substrate for beginners, and I add extra stuff under the inert silica to kick-start my tanks. So, I would call this an intermediate substrate, not something for a first time experiment please.

PSS: A heat cable with a sand substrate is a good topic, but I don't care to discuss that as of right now, sorry.....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Cables don't help with anything anaerobic, that's the biggest myth/lie out there.

Anaerobic pockets are formed when you have lots of organic matter down and no flow.

You can have the finest sand and 2ft of it and without the organic carbon sources, there will be no anaerobic conditions.

If you bought into the heat cable thing, why not use UG filters then and use the CPVC tubing I suggested 10-15 years ago?

Since it helps prevent anaerobic conditions transports waste out of the substrate etc..................

You can also do a growth study and the ones that have been done for aquatics suggest that no heat, plain old diffusion alone is not more natural, it produces better growth/optimal growth.

But what do I and Tropica know about any of that.........

Send me the $ you spend on cables next time if you have a hole in your wallet.

I've been challenging heat cable folks for 20 years. Still have yet to hear a thing that makes sense and a result that can be traded to their use that's positive.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
i had some in a 10g of mine 2 years ago got it from walmart it was the sand for the kids sand box. very cheap also like less then 5 bucks a bag.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
if you're afraid of anaerobic conditions get some malaysian trumpet snails. they burrow in the sand during the day and come out at night and eat dead plant matter. you'll have to sink zuccinni in the tank overnight to remove them from time to time because they reproduce very quickly. just one snail can spawn thousands within a year.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Instead of gravel maybe I'll give sand a try.

How well does it do with hiding fish "waste" (the white sand)? How well does it do with the gravel type vacs to remove the waste?

I'd love to do a black sand tank. Would be absolutely lovely. Adam, where do you find this Supernaturals black sand? I really want to see it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burks
Instead of gravel maybe I'll give sand a try.

How well does it do with hiding fish "waste" (the white sand)? How well does it do with the gravel type vacs to remove the waste?

I'd love to do a black sand tank. Would be absolutely lovely. Adam, where do you find this Supernaturals black sand? I really want to see it.
The white sand will show waste very quickly. For just this reason I did 75% white 25% black sand mix. The black sand was bought by a friend from a sand blaster for about the same price as the home depot white sand. It is a bit finer though.

First true attempt at a planted tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode