Is it safe to use mycorrhizal powders in planted tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
Is it safe to use mycorrhizal powders in planted tanks?

I have plenty around from my various other planting adventures and was wondering if it is safe to use in aquaria. The stuff does wonders for my terrestrial plants and would love to be able to use it to help my aquatic plants as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
If you put mycorrhizal fungi in a fish tank substrate they will most likely drown and die. They need oxygen.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
That is what I had assumed. I was just dreaming of a cheap alternative to bacter 100 or similar additives I suppose.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cheaper = do nothing. The right bacteria will come into the tank on the plants, and on anything else that has been under water in any sort of aquarium.

If you specifically want to enhance the microorganism population, then research WHICH microorganisms you want to add. There are suppliers for almost all the different groups.

Nitrifying bacteria:
Look for a product that includes Nitrospira species of bacteria. Do not waste your money on any other 'cycle in a bottle' sort of products. If it does not include Nitrospira it has the wrong species of bacteria.

Decomposers: There are pond or aquarium supplies that include these, but these are among the most common bacteria. Why pay for what you get for free?

Beneficial bacteria that will out-compete fish-disease bacteria. This is an odd little corner of the microorganism world, and worth looking into. Snake oil? or the real thing? You decide. Research probiotics. Here is one such product.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4262

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode