Substrate idea for 50 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate idea for 50 gal

Ok right now I am setting up a 50 gal planted aquarium..quite new to everything with plants but I have narrowed it down to 2 substrates 100% SoilMaster select (charcoal) (which id have to order and get shipped to my house since I live in Canada) 1 50 lb bag for my 50 gal which would be enough for 3-4" im guessing with the dusting of peat and mulm added underneath. OR I looked around the other day and found Schultz aquatic plant soil which is sold for 6.99$ for 5 kg(10lbs) also very cheap and would be my second option I would like to go 100% with that stuff or should i mix it with something else? which would be best
to use? and have any of you had any problems with these substrates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
50 lbs isn't enough. 100 is more like it.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I think that you will find having even one 50 lb bag shipped to your house is going to turn that inexpensive substrate to gold.

You might try the Shultz. It's pretty light and IMHO the color sucks.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey well from what ive heard a 50 lb bag gave a easy 3-4" thick for a 75 gal..and im not quite sure on how much shipping is 30$? around plus 16$ or for SM select so 46-50$ im guessing? which is still close to the amount that id need of the Schult'z APS (6 bags) 3-4" for 48$ and i love the look of the SM select much better and heard people who have had alot of success with it with no problems..anyone with experience know what shipping costs to house? thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
i find it hard to believe that 50 pounds will give 3-4 in a 75 gallon. i have almost 80 pounds of flourite and gravel in my 75 and its 2" in most the tank with a 3" back/center section. i used to have a good 70 in my 55 and it had a 4 inch base and that was pea gravel

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to spinnerbayt Send a message via MSN to spinnerbayt Send a message via Yahoo to spinnerbayt
I picked up 2 bags of SM for my 125g and I still have about a 1/3 of a bag left. I have about 3" - 4" in the back and about 1.5" - 2" in the front. SM goes along way. Its alot lighter then gravel, flourite or EC but holds down the plants just fine. 1 bag should be enough for a 50 gallon tank. But If you are going to do it if money isn't too tight go ahead and get 2 bags cause you know once you have the plant bug your going to want more tanks and its nice to have it there ready to go.

Jeff
125 gallon, Soilmaster Pro Select Charcoal
6 x 65 watt PC
Odyssea CFS4 X 2
20lb Pressurized CO2
9 Watt Turbotwist UVS
20 gallon Long, Eco Complete
110 watt PC
Zoo med 501
DIY CO2
Greg Watson Ferts

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

use the substrate calculator, it was dead on for my tank. i used 50lb in my tank to get 3" depth and my tank has a rather small footprint.

/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey thanks guys well SoilMaster Select is lighter than your regular Eco complete flourite etc...thats prob why 1 50 lb bag is good enough for a 75gal 3-4" and since mine is 50 gal i should easily be fine with 3-4" with 1 bag anyways still wondering if anyone knows the shipping cost to get a 50 lb bag delivered to your house (I live in Canada)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
There is shipping cost, customs fees and such. You might try the rate calculator at www.ups.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Check my post here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...bstrate-2.html
Give them a call to see where the nearest distributor is up there, eh. Will save you shipping cost (I paid less than $7 US per 50 lb bag that way). One 50 lb bag will be enough, its about 1/3 the weight of onyx sand. I started mixing soilmaster with my onyx sand 50/50 and love it, getting less compaction and looks great. I have used shultzs and the color does suck after a while but it does the job also......DC
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
If you dont mind the colour, silica sand 3-4mm size is a great traditional approach to planted tank which is very cheap and surely available almost in every big city in bulk size. It is great for planting and it weights a lot.
The catch is that it is inert so you have to use a healthy amount of layer of base fertilizer (JBL aquabasis, JBL ferropol, Denerle, Sera, etc).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode