Am I doomed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Am I doomed?

Hi, everyone. I'm new.

I made the terrible mistake of putting 150lb of UNWASHED Seachem Flourite into my 180-gallon, thinking I could rinse it out all together while piping water into and out of the tank. (Yes, I'm aware this was incredibly stupid -- I should have rinsed it in small batches. I was lazy.)

Pictures and stuff:
http://lepidosiren.livejournal.com/526432.html

Did a quick search, and came up with this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...=diatom+filter

Looks like the System 1 pressurized diatom filter I bought might save me. I bought a few pounds of extra diatom powder, figuring it'll take a few runs to clear this much dust. The filter will arrive in the mail tomorrow. Do you think it'll work, or would you give up and start again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
well, as not the recomended method-I have heard of others not rinsing flourite before putting it in. They feel like they are rinsing away valuable nutrients or something. The cloudiness will clear up, eventually. The diatom will clear it up pretty fast. Did you fill the tank up quickly? From that one picture it looks like the water was blasting in the tank. It would of been much better to fill it slowly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Have you tried draining the tank completely? Make a small place with bare glass and suck every last drop of water that you can out of the tank. Then cover up the bare spot and put a plate down with a bowl on top of it. Fill the tank by pouring the water slowly into the bowl. That should get most of the fine stuff.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Welcome to TPT! I've done that and I usually do that because I'm lazy too. The diatom will clear it up but you will be recharging the filter a lot, so much so that I bet some bad words get spoken. I would do what yoink suggests first and run the diatom until water is clear after refilling the tank.....DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by headgasket13
Hi, everyone. I'm new.

I made the terrible mistake of putting 150lb of UNWASHED Seachem Flourite into my 180-gallon, thinking I could rinse it out all together while piping water into and out of the tank. (Yes, I'm aware this was incredibly stupid -- I should have rinsed it in small batches. I was lazy.)

Pictures and stuff:
http://lepidosiren.livejournal.com/526432.html

Did a quick search, and came up with this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...=diatom+filter

Looks like the System 1 pressurized diatom filter I bought might save me. I bought a few pounds of extra diatom powder, figuring it'll take a few runs to clear this much dust. The filter will arrive in the mail tomorrow. Do you think it'll work, or would you give up and start again?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you! I have drained and refilled the tank a few times, I've put the System 1 to work, and I tried a flocculating agent. Enouraging progress:

http://lepidosiren.livejournal.com/527531.html

(Ansible is an 11"-long _Pterygoplichthys scrophus_: http://www.scotcat.com/loricariidae/...s_scrophus.htm)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via MSN to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via Yahoo to nicksgirl7705
I, too, put pounds of flourite into my tank without washing a single bit of it. I didn't have a diatom filter though. With lots and lots of water changes, it eventually goes away, but it is a nightmare. When I saw the first picture of the tank absolutely black-brown I must admit I was like LOLOL because I know exactly how it feels. I thought, "Ahh, another lazy person, I'm not the only one!"

Flourite is worth it though, IMO.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 02:20 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
do as yoink says make a hole and drain it completly when the water is drained lower then the gravel most of the fine dust gets sucked into the substraite then put a plate in there and fill it very slow. be careful not to disturb it after filling once you get a little mulm in the gravel it dont cloud as much when disturbed keep rinsing your filter as it will suck up alot i put a micron filter pad in mine that i also use as a prefilter in my wet dry on my reef. Mine cleared up pretty good in a few days but had a slight white milkey color for a few weeks. Yours may take longer since the tank is bigger
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 03:57 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
THink I would fill 3/4 and swoosh it around to suspend as much as possible, and drain. Maybe a few times

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode