Adding substrate to existing tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Adding substrate to existing tank

Hello,
I am ever so slowly evolving here...I read Rex' site...heck I even bought a regulator off him. I have been reading alot and I just did a search for this but only found people completly tearing down their tanks....removing all the fish.

Am I going to be able to add these bags of Eco-Complete to my existing aquarium with fish in it?...without a problem?

I was planning on putting the entire bag in then slicing the top open with a razor then attempt to evenly mixing it in with my existing substrate...hows that for a plan?

I have a diatom filter and plan on having it ready and waiting incase this gets ugly. I just wanted to get some words of advice...TY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 09:38 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would not recommend mixing one of the designer substates like Eco with another substrate, and certainly not with fish in the tank at the time.

Perhaps you could get a large rubbermaid tub to move the fish and water into for a day or so while you work with the tank itself? That way you can have an empty tank into which to place substrate, etc.

IME, Eco will raise the kh of your water when it is first added. Personally, when I started with Eco: I added the Eco, filled the tank and let it sit overnight, then drained almost completely and filled again. That eliminated any cloudiness or kh issues involved with a new substrate.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ack! Reading the directions on the bag would probably be a good start eh?
Doh...well I will be adding this stuff to my tank over the next three days.

As per the instructions I will not be slicing open the bag, I will drain it like it says to do then mix it in with my existing substrate over the next few days. I dont have many plants in this tank right now so this wont be too hard. I hope.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow
I would not recommend mixing one of the designer substates like Eco with another substrate, and certainly not with fish in the tank at the time.

Perhaps you could get a large rubbermaid tub to move the fish and water into for a day or so while you work with the tank itself? That way you can have an empty tank into which to place substrate, etc.

IME, Eco will raise the kh of your water when it is first added. Personally, when I started with Eco: I added the Eco, filled the tank and let it sit overnight, then drained almost completely and filled again. That eliminated any cloudiness or kh issues involved with a new substrate.

OK. Because of the warning on the bag and what your saying I think I may hold off on this task. I am trying to rush it and I will only end up with some dead Discus on my hands. I didnt think this was going to mess with my characteristics that much. I just put about 30 Cardinal tetras in this tank so I was hoping I could avoid the teardown but it looks inevitable now. Argh!!!! thankfully I just purchased a 12x12 net to catch these Zebra danios....

I am setting up a new 75 gallon tank soon and I can use that as my temporary housing.

PS thank you for the advice.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 04:26 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
OOPPPSSS!

Guess I should have read the bag!

Last week I tore down my 37G tall and set up a 50G. I put the fish from the 37G in a 10G, drained the 37G into some buckets, and set up the 50G. I pulled the Eco-Complete out of the 37G and put it in the 50G. I added two bags of new Eco-Complete to the 50G. I then added the old water from the 37G to the 50G and added some tap. I brought everything up to temperature, added dechlor and put the fish and plants back in a few hours later.

No problems whatsoever. I was glad to have it done in one day!

Good thing I didn't take the time to read the warnings.......

Mike
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
OOPPPSSS!

Guess I should have read the bag!

Last week I tore down my 37G tall and set up a 50G. I put the fish from the 37G in a 10G, drained the 37G into some buckets, and set up the 50G. I pulled the Eco-Complete out of the 37G and put it in the 50G. I added two bags of new Eco-Complete to the 50G. I then added the old water from the 37G to the 50G and added some tap. I brought everything up to temperature, added dechlor and put the fish and plants back in a few hours later.

No problems whatsoever. I was glad to have it done in one day!

Good thing I didn't take the time to read the warnings.......

Mike
OMG! You tore down the 37g!!!?!?!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How many bags did you add to the 50 gallon?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I added two bags.

Mike
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!
OK. I'll get four bags for my 90. I will post pics when its done.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I added two bags to the existing three I had in my 37 Tall. I believe there are five bags total in my 50G.

Mike
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got it. I have 2 bags and I just ordered 4 more.
Is that your only substrate? Do you have any pictures?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 04:38 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
I am now thinking that I have a *cough* load of EC in my 30 gallon long. I have 4 bags of EC in there.

Are you guys making sure that you have at least a 3 inch depth in your tanks?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I maintain substrate depths of between 2"-3". No deeper than that for me.

Mike
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 PM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
I've added more flourite to my flourite tank. I have done it two ways - one was using a plastic stadium cup, filled up w/ the substrate, submerged and then turned over to let the gravel run out where I wanted it. This tended to be a little messy with washed flourite (I could have washed it better).

The other way, which was more effective at staying clean was using a "beer bong" set-up (funnel with hard PVC tubing, so it's not exactly a beer bong), with the funnel at the water level, filling up a 1" or 3/4" PVC pipe that was pressed down against the substrate where I wanted it, but against the substrate to prevent it from flowing out yet. The tube and funnel were filled up and when I wanted to add it to the tank, I pulled up the PVC a little bit to let the flourite flow out the bottom. I could move the PVC to direct the flow or push back down to stop it. This was much cleaner, though I probably washed the flourite better.

I've added 2 full bags to a fully planted 75 - though I would still suggest a nice water change afterwards. Flourite isn't the cleanest substrate around - but neither is where the plants came from originally!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csf
The other way, which was more effective at staying clean was using a "beer bong" set-up (funnel with hard PVC tubing, so it's not exactly a beer bong), with the funnel at the water level, filling up a 1" or 3/4" PVC pipe that was pressed down against the substrate where I wanted it, but against the substrate to prevent it from flowing out yet. The tube and funnel were filled up and when I wanted to add it to the tank, I pulled up the PVC a little bit to let the flourite flow out the bottom. I could move the PVC to direct the flow or push back down to stop it. This was much cleaner, though I probably washed the flourite better.
Wow, thanks for this tip csf. I've got 3/4 of a bag that I want to use up by adding to 2 tanks that are already setup. Rest assured I'll be trying this one.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode