is it really nessecary? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
is it really nessecary?

I admit i went to far to fast, i bought my tank with the notion i have always had one set up this way and my fish thrive and do great! Well i didnt really know what i wanted untill about 2 - 3 weeks after i started so i've probly spent more than needed but heres what i wanna know

i started this tank with just plain fish store gravel 1-2 mm size no Substrate addative or fertilizer or anything 3 weeks later i was wandering around my local Stores and i was attracted to their planted tank displays . and decided i wanted to go that route.

Do i really need florurite or any substrate fertilizer? or can i do it with seachem and other products?

my current setup
30 gal
130 watt coralife 2X 65W 10,000 k
DIY CO2 going to be compressed in a week so i can run other tanks
flourish weekly
aquaclear 700 hob (probly gonna change to a canister for a better co2 reactor after getting the bottle)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
It depends on the plants. Most stemplants, anubias, ferns and mosses couldn't care less about the substrate, as long as there are nutrients in the water column. Some rosette plants will do much better with an enriched substrate, incl Sword plants, Cryptocorynes, Lotus, Sags, Vals, etc.

It is your decision... but since the tank is new you can still make the switch. Or keep the substrate, 1-2 mm is pretty good size, and with time, mulm is going to accumulate and improve the inititially poor substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
How much gravel do you have in there now?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

2-3 inches deep in the front to 4-5 inches deep in certain spots in back

hmm dont gravelvac the mulm stuff off right now ... let some get in there,

the tank is about 3 months old .. but i decided to go all planted tanks so i figured i'd start with the smallest

thanks!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

hmm i got alot of swords and a few crypts and some dwarf hairgrass, but nothing has made to considerable growth for me to not be able to redo the substrate a little ... i dont see any real propegation yet ... maybe i should while its still in its infancy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Better sooner than later if you are going to do it. But if you do it treat the tank as a new tank. Load it up with fast growers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
yea you can always do a 50/50 substrate and use "Cycle" it will stop any ammonia spikes that might happen.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 03:06 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you are considering it, I would just go ahead and switch. Like Rex says, better sooner than later.

I would suggest using fast growing plants rather than using Cycle.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
If you go 50/50, remember the smallest substrate will be on bottom. And you will want the flourite deeper IMO. I have ~65% Ecocomplete on the bottom, which is finer grained and ~35% larger river pebbles on top as I don't care for black substrates myself. It pretty much stays that way. If stirred up my smaller Ecocomplete will eventually settle lowest.

One possibly less desireable option is to just use your plain gravel and rootfeed the swords and such, which you have to do anyways. And Aquariumplants.com has some good ones a lot cheaper than the great but spendy Seachem roottabs. Eventually the mulm will really help, but you will have to dose extra iron too.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

thankya for all the info ... i'll get some this weekend, best recommended substrate?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
I personally like my Fluorite. If you want black then a lot of people use Eco Complete. The other option for black would be ADA aquasoil ($$$) or Soilmaster Select (very cheap). You can have success with any of these substrates.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode