Flora Base, pain in the A$$ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Flora Base, pain in the A$$

anyone tried this stuff? I saw it at a LFS and grabbed a bag for a new tank I was hoping to start on. This stuff clouds like mad and I sqeezed some of the grains together and it crushes and becomes kinda like mud. I'm wondering did I do something wrong here? O yea the bag said complete nutrition for plants thats why I got it. the simplest movement will raise ALOT of silt from the bottom and send it into the water column. I was thinking about maybe covering with gravel or something. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to hipchack
This stuff is great for plants! Check out luis navarro's tanks:

http://www.mynatureaquariums.com/

Many of his tanks use florabase before he switched to ADA stuff.

Florabase does turn into mud after time. Therefore you shouldn't move the plants around if you can avoid it. However, when it comes to growing plants this stuff is one of the only substrates that will lower pH, which is good for plants in uptaking nutrients. Plants will grow quicker and healthier for you if provided the right conditions with this substrate. I personally think it's a nice buy, but I can understand how frustrating it can be.

David
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use it, I like it a lot, but you'll probably hear different opinions. Take a look at this thread:https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...ght=flora+base.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

thanx for the replies and info, I think this stuff can be great but its very frustrating because alot of sediment gets kicked up and I'm just planting new plants in there, every day it looks muddy as hell until I let it sit overnight, once day comes its planting time again. so continues the cycle.....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

thanx for the replies and info, I think this stuff can be great but its very frustrating because alot of sediment gets kicked up and I'm just planting new plants in there, every day it looks muddy as hell until I let it sit overnight, once day comes its planting time again. so continues the cycle.....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It's not that bad! This pic was taken just after filling this demo tank:
http://www.turbomkt.com/carl/album/slides/IMG_0260.html

As you will see, it's only nominally cloudy.

John P.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipchack
This stuff is great for plants! Check out luis navarro's tanks:

http://www.mynatureaquariums.com/

Many of his tanks use florabase before he switched to ADA stuff.

Florabase does turn into mud after time. Therefore you shouldn't move the plants around if you can avoid it. However, when it comes to growing plants this stuff is one of the only substrates that will lower pH, which is good for plants in uptaking nutrients. Plants will grow quicker and healthier for you if provided the right conditions with this substrate. I personally think it's a nice buy, but I can understand how frustrating it can be.

David
Well, why don't you ask Luis what he thinks of Flora base today?
He does not like it, nor do I.

ADA aqua soil is cheaper, better and defintiely has more nutrients and grows all species very well. I cannot say the same for FB.
AS is easier to plant in as well.

It's never clouded, but neither did FB for me.
Add mulm, and a light dusting of peat onj the bottom of any new tank and this will greatly improve the start up phase.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

thanx plantbrain

thanx i should thought of that layer of peat to hold the silt/sediment, and I totally should have gone with AquaSoil, the thing is I can't find it in my LFS and I've been to about 5 of them in the past week. Great info guys I just wanted to give a warning to anyone that was eyeing florabase. On another forum the user noted that on the bag it said replace in a year, I was checking my bag and couldn't find that anywhere but I bet its true cause this stuff can be crushed between my fingers. Guess I'll be complaining some more in a year :P joking
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to hipchack
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain
Well, why don't you ask Luis what he thinks of Flora base today?
He does not like it, nor do I.

ADA aqua soil is cheaper, better and defintiely has more nutrients and grows all species very well. I cannot say the same for FB.
AS is easier to plant in as well.

It's never clouded, but neither did FB for me.
Add mulm, and a light dusting of peat onj the bottom of any new tank and this will greatly improve the start up phase.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Tom,
I was talking about the tanks back then before we had access to ADA. ADA is my top choice too, but angel had already purchased FB so I was making comments about who has used it. And giving her examples of Luis's tanks, in which he did use it.

Angel, it'll be difficult to plant if you're tank is filled up. Next time, consider planting before filling up the tank with water. Leave a little water so that the substrate is a little wet, plant the plants, then fill up the tank slowly with a saucer. It might help to prevent initial cloudiness.

HTH,

David
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
ADA substrates were available back in 1998 or so. I used them on a one tank.
At the time I did not see a dramatic improvement and did not like the soft light weight of the product. Then not for awhile, then recently the last years or so they came back after Amano came to the AGA conference.

Still, without any doubt, I can say the ADA subs are much better than FB.
I gave FB all the chances in the world.
I'll never use it again.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

well, it doesn't seem so bad now.(2 weeks later) Now I'm just waiting for the painful day of changing it out when that stuff becomes mud....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode