Cloudyness and Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was wondering how long have people had thier water held dirt in the water columb after filling a tank with Flourite. It has been about 20 hours since I removed my flourite and rinsed it and filled the tank.

In this first pic I really did not like the way the flourite looked so I drained the tank and cleaned it,

Now the water is just not as clear as I think it should be. Should it take longer to settle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you rinse the Flourite well and then gently fill the tank the residual cloudiness is normally gone in around 12 hours. But a lot depends on your filter. Is your filter able to handle the fine particles? I have a Rena XP3 on my 55 gallon tank and used the fine filter pad after I set the tank up. It caught all the dust.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Even a fine microfilter pad might not be enough to pick up that type of very fine particulate matter. Try using a flocculant for a few days to help clump those fine particles together, allowing the filter to pick them up. There are plenty of flocculants on sale at any fish store or even Wal Mart (Crystal Clear, Water Clarifier, etc)

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 01:34 PM

I would look for one that contains isinglass. It's used in homebrewing and therefore is non-toxic. Also I'd swear its derived FROM fish...somehow. Now i need to look that up...eureka!
"Isinglass is a very pure transparent gelatin obtained from the swimbladder of certain fish, especially sturgeon. It was used for making jellies and especially as a fining agent to clarify wine."

FYI - I find that the addition of stress zyme seems to help clear up the water. My wife's florite tank took just over 24 hours to get clear. It has some dust buildup on the glass, but otherwise it's good.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
[quote="malkore"]I would look for one that contains isinglass. It's used in homebrewing and therefore is non-toxic. [quote]

Man, you learn something new every day. I love finding industrial sources for commercial supplies.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I bought a micron filter (Coralife) today and I am using it now, I have to rinse it every half hour. I disturbed the bed today planting dwarf hairgrass.

I will have to get some of the Isinglass, Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 03:05 AM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
I just rinse it 3-4 times and then use a plate or newspaper when filling up the tank. It helps keep the stuff from churning, which kicks up the dust.

Even when replanting, the dust settles in a few minutes on the plants and the fish and water flow clean it off within a few hours (the fish just kick it back into the water column, where the filters can get it again).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode