another MGOPM question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
another MGOPM question

I am setting up a couple tanks and can't make MTS.

I put a 8 dry qts bag of MGOPM in a 5 gal bucket and filled it 80% with water.

I put a big heavy air stone in the bucket and attached it to an air pump and I'm letting it bubble away and giving it a good stir 2x a day.

My thought is this will circulate the MGOPM and add a bunch of oxygen to the whole mix. temp will be steady at 70-76 F. I could add a small heater to bring it up to 85 F.

After a week will this have accomplished anything or am I just wasting my time and energy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
In my opinion wasting time and funds on the power being used.

Remove any big wood chips.
1.5 to 2" max depth on the soils layer.
1 to 1.5" of your sand or other capping material.
Flood slowly to about 3" of water above the total substrate and use your hand to pat the base to release any trapped air.
Fully plant the tank and filler it up.
After a week change 50% of the water if the tannins stain it more than you can stand for.
Run the lighting 6-8hrs per day and watch for algae issues and reduce lighting if needed. Floaters are something I add to most new tank starts.

grow baby grow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 PM

A week of soaking will help leech out tannins and waterlog the MGOPM. It takes a while for all the moss and other bits to soak up water, so your extra soaking time and mixing will help get it all good and wet. Switch out your water every couple days to help the leeching process.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I agree with wkndracer. Just sift out the larger particles, dump it dry into your tank, cap it, flatten it out, then plant. Simple and easy.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I'll just let it keep going until I'm ready for it in a few days.

I'm guessing at this point just skim off whatever junk is still floating at the top?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I don't understand why people insist on soaking any dirt for days???

Once it's saturated (a few minutes) it CAN NOT get and "More" wet.

Simply wet soak it, pore off the foam & floaters. Refill, stir again, let it settle for 2min. pour off any other foam or floater you missed. If it's Topsoil, feel around for clay lumps and break them up, feel for stones & pebbles and remove them. Allow the water to settle again 2min. drain off all the water.

Done, put it in your tank or move on to the wet/dry MTS cycle.

Folks we are not culturing T-cells in petri dishes, we are growing 3rd world aquatic weeds that come from drainage ditches and are fertilized by Water Buffalo dung.

This does not have to be so hard.

Last edited by DogFish; 04-07-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: sp
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

must love dogs

Bwahahaha! Gotta love a Dog post!

Adding to that IF,
You're going to do the whole soak it and float out all the organics thing, then don't bother buying the bagged MGOCPM because you'll be throwing out 70-80% of the bag wasting 70-80% of your money AND removing what anyone understanding submerged decomposition and bacterial breakdown consider the time release nutrient portion of the NPT method.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
don't bother buying the bagged MGOCPM because you'll be throwing out 70-80% of the bag wasting 70-80% of your money
i did that once, found it wasted a lot like your saying

it was also messy as hell being indoors in the winter

more recently i drop it in dry with zero sifting and soak til wet and add substrate

glad to hear thats ok cause it sure is much simpler

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:04 PM
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Pick out the larger chunks and sticks, put in tank while still dry, cap, fill about 3 inches above cap, plant, fill tank.

There is usually about 5% that needs picking out. Easy peasey.

DBP Club

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower

i just did an mgoc tank. Make sure you get out the wood chips. then soak it for an hour or s0. After this rinse it with your hands. Mix it up and drain the water. I just put mgoc in my tank after getting out the wood chips. it leeched tanins like crazy. I had to rip it up, wash the soil, regravel, and replant. you wouldn't believe the difference. Take this little step now and save yourself the pain of tanins. The longer you soak and rinse the clearer your water will be when you plant.
good luck!

another thing...BUY THE ORGANIC CHOICE SOIL.. its only like 9 bucks for a big bag. Saves you some trouble. Also, isn't there urea and stuff in the potting mix. less work and better for your fish.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM

lol @ dogfish. So true!

The only reason why I suggested soaking it is when I dug out my first peat moss tank, I found dry spots in the substrate, even after it was in the tank for a couple months. I just thought soaking it for a bit longer would help the water penetrate all the 'dirt' so it was completely soaked.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Pick out the larger chunks and sticks, put in tank while still dry, cap, fill about 3 inches above cap, plant, fill tank.

There is usually about 5% that needs picking out. Easy peasey.
Yup! Ya got it right by the read here.
5% at most LOL, if it's smaller than a 2x4 I leave it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews95 View Post
i just did an mgoc tank. Make sure you get out the wood chips. then soak it for an hour or s0. After this rinse it with your hands. Mix it up and drain the water. I just put mgoc in my tank after getting out the wood chips. it leeched tanins like crazy. I had to rip it up, wash the soil, regravel, and replant. you wouldn't believe the difference. Take this little step now and save yourself the pain of tanins. The longer you soak and rinse the clearer your water will be when you plant.
good luck!

another thing...BUY THE ORGANIC CHOICE SOIL.. its only like 9 bucks for a big bag. Saves you some trouble. Also, isn't there urea and stuff in the potting mix. less work and better for your fish.
Do you like working you're hands through wet cow crap while making mud pies? If you bought the "ORGANIC CHOICE SOIL" that's exactly what you had to play with .
(read the bag) You're wrong on using the soil. Every bag I've seen (looked at a bunch in 5yrs.) they all contain cow manure.

"?regravel?" PLZ tell me you didn't use those little round rocks that look like marbles for the cap?

Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix is the bagged 'dirt' product I use.
MGOCPM (potting mix) contains soils and a large portion of organic material (55-65% by volume).
Listed as containing Sphagnum peat moss, composted bark fines, leaves, twigs, wood chips, etc. and "pasteurized poultry litter" (cooked chicken crap).
0.10-0.05-0.05
The chicken crap is cooked to eliminate the bacteria it's commonly known to contain.
0.10-0.05-0.05 is one of the lowest NPK ratios you will find on a bagged product and part of the reason the initial spikes reported by many using other stuff is reported at a minimum using MGOCPM.

Get the right bag and have zero point zero added chemical ferts to be concerned with. (no urea)

Last edited by wkndracer; 04-06-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: *
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tannin Rant OR can I make wkndracer Crack up &

How are you guys having tannin problems??? I have tanks with Oak Leaves, Peat Moss and Rottweiler Poop and I don't have tannin problems and I'm trying to have tannin problems.

Last edited by DogFish; 04-07-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: sp
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Algae Grower

so basically the potting mix is better than organic choice?
also, @ dogfish what do you do with your soil.
what gravel should be used?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I make MTS I do not use MGOCPM. I have nothing negative to say about MGOCPM. I make MTS as I enjoy the learning process and crafting the dirt.

I am a firm believer in a sand cap for dirt. I feel it's the most natural way if you consider how plants grow in nature.

Last edited by DogFish; 04-07-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added an 'R'

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode