Laterite. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Laterite.

I'm going to be setting up a new 2.5G nano and I'm going to be using Laterite in it. I don't have anymore Eco so the LFS had the Laterite pretty cheap. I need some advice on how I shsould go about laying the Laterite down. I'm using regular black gravel I had from apreviouse 5G tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Here's what i did, and it's working great here -

Mix your laterite with peat, tank mulm and fine silica sand. Spread this about 1" thick across the tank bottom then cover with your gravel. In my case I used coarse blasting sand instead of gravel.

Other than adding some fert pellets under my Crypts, thats all I did, and am getting great root production from stems as well as a glosso/hairgrass/dwarf sag mixed carpet. IMO just as good or better then my old Flourite tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks. Now say if the laterite would actually be mixed with the top part of the gravel would it cause any issues as far as the parameters or what not?

The peat moss...

Last night I was at Home Depot and saw a hugh bag of peat moss. Now what kind or brand is it the you guys use? What's hot and what's not?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:49 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Peat moss

deep,

I was also at Home Depot last night and I picked up a huge, white, package of canadian sphagum peat moss, forgot the brand but it might be the same. It's far more than I need for my tank but will use it for a prospective vegetable garden in the back yard and for trading.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The laterite won't work it's way up into the substrate on it's own. I do have some areas where I've moved plants and pulled some laterite up with the roots, and haven't seen any problems with it other than the looks.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=none&pad=true
Is what I used for peat. Any brand that is sphagnum peat moss with no extra ingredients should be the same. Beware that Miracle Grow brand peat DOES have extra compounds mixed into it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:53 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I ordered some laterite the other day and assuming the pieces are too big for my taste, would breaking them down further be a okay?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't see why not. It's basically just lumps of clay.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by balasharkfreak
deep,

I was also at Home Depot last night and I picked up a huge, white, package of canadian sphagum peat moss, forgot the brand but it might be the same. It's far more than I need for my tank but will use it for a prospective vegetable garden in the back yard and for trading.
Again I was at Home Depot and I saw the peat moss. It's like $6.00 - $7.00. And it's HUGH. I'll probably buy it on Tuesday when I get paid. I just planted some HM and Glosso in the tanks so I'm basically tired out. But when I get it I'll just redo the substrate. I have no fish in the tanks yet so it shouldn't be a problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I got my peat at Home Depot in a much smaller bag. Look in the section that has stuff for container gardening, like ferts, vermiculite, and peat. My bag, as I remember is about 5 pounds. I used a couple of ounces of it!

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode