New Tank - Substrate options? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tank - Substrate options?

Hey everyone,
I am going to be setting up my new tank next week (410 litres), and I am unsure what I should do about substrate.

I really like the look of Eco-Complete and the ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, But these are way out of my price range (also I'd have to get them from overseas) So these are not an option. Same goes for flourite.

I can get gravel, small grey inert pebbles around 2-5mm and have this in my current tanks. It works well for the plants, but the gravel in my current tanks is very mature. If I put this in the new tank by itself I'm sure the plants would suffer in the long run.

Was wondering what I could do to make this brand new substrate better for the plants besides getting mulm under it.
I have seen people putting peat moss under their gravel, is this a good idea?
What else would you recomend? I dont want to spend too much on this as this tank has already cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
go to walmart or kmart or whatever department store in your area and look for shult'z aquatic plant soil. you can even do a search on the internet. you could probably buy 50lbs for $10? or a little more. Very economical. My suggestion would be to do that and also pick up some beach sand at lowes or homedepot to go over it (it looks like fluorite but tanner) I'm using it in a nano and it works great! paid $5 for 10lbs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Was thinking more along the lines of garden centre stuff.. There are no wal marts here and kmart wont have it. Remember I'm in New Zealand.
I'm looking for something to put underneath the gravel.
Peat moss is still looking appealing, Anyone got an oppinion on sprinkling carbon on the bottom? I'm sure I read about someone doing this too.
Thanks.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There is Eco-Complete in NZ, Auckland.
I will try to get a shop name for you if you want.

You can always add but never take.

Aussie Style
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:36 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
In other words, you are already set on using the same gravel as before? If so, then yes a layer of peat might help by introducing some organic matter right off. Also use some fert sticks/tabs.

As for me, I think I'm gonna go to lowes/home depot garden center and try out the shultz's on my next tank!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pretty much yeah.. Unless I can score Eco-Complete (or something else) really cheap, Its my only option really. Either that or wait some more to set the tank up.
I want to set it up next week because I'm on holiday, so plenty of time to do it.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Deactivated

PTrader: (1/100%)
Peat works just fine for me. I just had to soak it for about 2 weeks before it all sank to the bottom and all the tanins leached out.

Maybe boiling it would have accelerated the process, but it's an office tank, and it's already weird-enough (at my office) to set up an aquarium... what will people think if I start boiling peat? Hahaha.

Just make sure it doesn't have any trace fertlizers that they sometimes put in peat.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You have dirt and gravel in New Zealand?

May find this interresting. Never tried dirt in a co2 enriched tank if that is where you are going, but this person did.

http://www.ausdiscus.com.au/fertilisation.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode