need advice on substrate please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
tmm

PTrader: (0/0%)
need advice on substrate please

Hi, I am new to freshwater tanks. I have a 240 gal. reef tank. I have been doing saltwater tanks for 8 years. I just had a 150 gal. tank given to me. It has the lighting system for a reef (vho and pc). I was going to do salt with it,but really want to try fresh. I made the mistakes of salt by starting with fish only then to reef. The requirements are completely different and costly changes were made. I dont want to make the same mistakes with freshwater. I know I want to go with plants. So, what kind of substate would you start with and how deep? I will be reading up on all that I can. I have Rex's Guide printed out too. Also the tank has a blue background painted on it. Should I try to get this off or is blue acceptable?
Thanks, Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Hi Tina, welcome to The Planted Tank!

You will read many opinions on substrate, there are many options between cheap and expensive.

Probably the simplest would be to buy a few bags of Flourite or Eco-Complete, depending on your color preference.

If that is too expensive, there are some cheaper things available with similar characteristics, like Soilmaster, or Schultz/Profile.

On the bottom of the price scale, there is sandblasting grit/coarse sand/fine gravel.

Lots of choices. Depth of substrate depends a little on what plants you want to plant, some are root-feeders and need fatter substrates, like Sword Plants. Others, stem plants, ferns, mosses, won't care since they take their nutrients from the water column. On average, I'd say 2in in front and 3in in the back are sufficient.

Regarding the color of your background, that's your choice... Some think black looks best, I use mirrors in some tanks, it comes down to personal preference. Look at a few tank photos and see what you like...

PS: I moved this into the Substrate forum... here is where you find all the nitty-gritty of bottom layers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
tmm

Thanks, because of where I live, I will be using warm water plants (77to80 degree tank). This is where my reef stays. It sounds like I will be using Eco Complete. Do I mix flourite in with it? or use it straight up As you see I still have a lot of studying to do. Tina

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:46 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
flourite and eco-complete looks really wack together, just stay with one type. Although you can mix flourite and regular gravel to save $$$.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Yeah, there is no point mixing EC and Flourite. Just decide which color you like better and then go with that.

I ended up mostly using Flourite since it is available locally, while EC is not.

After most of the substrate is covered with plants, it isn't all that important what you used.

Some ppl divide their substrates, and use for example sand in the foreground, and something coarser in the back.

Many possibilities!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
tmm

I was told sand was a no no. It packs down too much. Tina

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode