Carpet plants and Safe T sorb - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Carpet plants and Safe T sorb

I recently switched substrate to this stuff and while I like it, it's really light and I couldn't get my dwarf hair grass to reroot before the cories accidentally pulled it up so I just ended up putting it in another tank. I ordered a 12x12 mat of microsword today to replace it, and I was wondering what would be a good way to keep in down long enough to root. I was thinking that instead of breaking it up into small clumps I could leave it in 2x2 clumps or something and use an unfolded ( U shape) paper clip to hold each of the larger pieces down until they can stay down by themselves. Does this sound like a good idea? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by JConner3; 03-28-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: edited for spelling/grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
yeah the paper clip method works. you can use stainless steel mesh as well. if you have the patience you could take all of the water out and restart by using the dry start method, but I doubt you want to do that since you said that you already have fish in there
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanski21 View Post
yeah the paper clip method works. you can use stainless steel mesh as well. if you have the patience you could take all of the water out and restart by using the dry start method, but I doubt you want to do that since you said that you already have fish in there
How long should I leave them paper clipped down?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

would vary on your tank conditions and growth rates...i would leave it a month then try to take one side out and see if it floats up.

55 gal plant newb
fluval 306
48" finnex ray2 slim led
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
yeah, downside of safe t sorbs. its so darn light. makes planting like hell. u will def need something weighted to keep it down. or if u have no fish in the tank u can try the dry emersed way?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Op stated he has fish so unless he has another tank to transfer them to, the dry start method is out.

I'm using turface and have the exact same problem. I have a featherfin catfish and a bala shark in my tank and being that they are both substrate feeders, I'm constantly replanting. It's been a month since I made the substrate switch and replanted and I'm having to replant at least one little sprig daily. No big deal though. I think if its deep enough, and the roots get long enough it'll stop happening. I have both Brazilian micro sword and Pygmy chain sword planted. I separated them all out into individual stems and spaced them in a rough 1"x1" grid across about half the footprint. That was a long painful process. They're still getting pulled up regularly but have had some decent root growh. I'm confident once they reach the mineralized topsoil at the bottom the root growth will speed up substantially as will growth and I can stop replanting. Just takes time and patience
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Op stated he has fish so unless he has another tank to transfer them to, the dry start method is out.

I'm using turface and have the exact same problem. I have a featherfin catfish and a bala shark in my tank and being that they are both substrate feeders, I'm constantly replanting. It's been a month since I made the substrate switch and replanted and I'm having to replant at least one little sprig daily. No big deal though. I think if its deep enough, and the roots get long enough it'll stop happening. I have both Brazilian micro sword and Pygmy chain sword planted. I separated them all out into individual stems and spaced them in a rough 1"x1" grid across about half the footprint. That was a long painful process. They're still getting pulled up regularly but have had some decent root growh. I'm confident once they reach the mineralized topsoil at the bottom the root growth will speed up substantially as will growth and I can stop replanting. Just takes time and patience
I tried a couple of times planting very small pieces but unfortunately I couldnt get it to stay down at all. I planted the new microsword in very large clumps and weighed them down with paper clips. Im hoping it grows in ok and stays down on its own pretty soon.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'm using STS myself and have tried several foreground plants. Hard to get anything to "carpet" but my ET is finally establishing well, although a bit patchy.
Glosso came in second place....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Algae Grower

Is turface less "dirty" than safe t sorb? I bought a small amount of oil dri to test (safe T sorb is not locally available) and it seemed extremely dirty and made water cloudy despite multiple rinsing.

I am considering building a sand sifter to help clean and remove fine particles prior to rinsing. I am worried about lingering cloudiness of the water. Would the lack of these fine particles hurt plant development?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Can't comment on that much. I've never used safe t sorb. My turface required a fair amount of rinsing. Lots of clay dust. When I actually planted and filled the tank it was 100% cloudy and couldn't see anything but after about 6 hours on running the canisters, it cleared up enough to see everything. Next day it was crystal clear. I think just about any plant specific substrate will cloudy the water temporatily, besides actual rock gravel (natural, or the painted crap from the pet store).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Very dusty substrate. Not sure you ever do get rid of it all. A few months into a tank using STS and my purgien still gets dirty fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All my micro sword ended up floating at the top of the tank and i couldnt get it looking good again so i trashed it all. I was thinking about mixing/capping the safe t sorb with a single bag flourite or something just so I can keep some kind of carpet. Is this a horrible idea or has anyone done it successfully.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:06 PM
Algae Grower

Reviving this old thread.

Any updates or success stories on carpeting on safe t sorb? I am planning my next 100 gallon high tech project and I would like to have some sort of carpet in there. Maybe glosso or s repens. I've never had experience with safe t sorb or the other montmorillonite clays. Iím wondering if a cap of black diamond blasting sand over the safe t sorb would help carpet plants root and stay put. Any suggestions?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode