where do "you" get your sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
where do "you" get your sand

Like the topic suggests....I have been looking for 1.5-2mm sand to top my flourite, I even looked online, but I fail at interweb searching. I was hoping to have my 80g full of water by this weekend. Is it a lost cause??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I'm not sure how big pool filter sand is, but I have heard it described as coarser than, for instance, "play" sand. There's also blasting sand which is graded according to size I believe.

Be aware that putting a substance of a smaller particle size on top of a larger particle size doesn't work. The smaller stuff will work its way downward and the larger stuff will end up on top.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Thats why I wanted 2mm sand....its close to the size of the flourite...yes I took out my ruler, 80% if the grains I measured were less than 3mm.

Also I looked at my local poolfilter sand...it is more coarse, but like blasting sand it is jagged and sharp, I was hoping for something that resembled crafting beads...loach safe type stuff...I remember seeing it once but I fail at remembering where.

Thank you for the reply though

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I went to the local hardware store and got a 100 lb bag of 20 grade sand for about $5. It is the same grade as pfs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Pull out your Yellow Pages and look under sand blasting. Then start calling.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:13 AM
Planted Member

Hey AquaNoob:
You may want to check out the 3m ColorQuartz. A lot of the folks in the cichlid communities are using it. It is ceramic coated quartz that comes in two grades...and numerous colors. You can even contact 3M and request a sample. I would recommend calling them about the size of the grains, but then I would request a sample of the colorquartz via their online 'contact us' option. Be sure to request the sample vials...otherwise they might just send you picture cards. I say request the samples online because the samples would normally be for contractors who want to carry the product line. They are not in the business to give away free samples to AquaNoobs. LOL.

Here is a link to the ColorQuartz info.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!..._IcFQEAHTt83Y!

Here is a link to a looooooooong thread on cichlid-forums.com. Someone may have mentioned the grains sizes. there are also pics of tank setups with the various colors...although a lot of folks go with black, white, buff, etc.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...ic.php?t=43290

At least check it out.

Otherwise, go to a landscape supply, mulch yard, or rock yard. Many of these places have some really course sand...and will let you bag it up for smaller quantities.

Ciao

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode