To cap or not to cap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
To cap or not to cap

I got a 15LB FloraMax on clearance for $9 and a 3L bag of New Amazonia on its way. I'm thinking of capping some FloraMax with the Amazonia. Maybe separate it with some window screen so it doesn't permanently mix?

I like the look of the Amazonia and with the other stuff under it it should be plenty. Anybody see any reason not to go this route?

Its a 7.5 gallon Mr Aqua Rimless and I'm planning a carpeted, Seiryu Stone type layout

Thanks for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
A single bag of Aquasoil should be plenty for your 12" cube. No need to use any other substrate unless you're aiming for extremely high sloping. And then, it'd probably be a better idea to use something like lava rock beneath the areas you're trying to raise to prevent things from leveling out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1. I would personally just use the Aquasoil.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

To be clear, I ordered one 3 liter bag.

The bigger bags are 9 liters as you probably know.

I will probably follow your advice if its gives me a thick enough bed.

Thanks for the replies
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
A single bag of Aquasoil should be plenty for your 12" cube. No need to use any other substrate unless you're aiming for extremely high sloping. And then, it'd probably be a better idea to use something like lava rock beneath the areas you're trying to raise to prevent things from leveling out.
it seems like the Floramax is lava rock. Do you mean something without nutrient additives?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
No, I believe he means a big chunk of rock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Yep - larger chunks of lava rock.

If you only have the 3L bag, you'll have about 1.27" of substrate if it's level. Since it's a small tank, you likely won't want substrate to be super-deep. You could still get away with just using Aquasoil. Or you could just use the Floramax in the areas where you want to slope - but also use some larger rock to help build things up. If there's not something to hold the substrate up, it will slowly level out.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Yep - larger chunks of lava rock.

If you only have the 3L bag, you'll have about 1.27" of substrate if it's level. Since it's a small tank, you likely won't want substrate to be super-deep. You could still get away with just using Aquasoil. Or you could just use the Floramax in the areas where you want to slope - but also use some larger rock to help build things up. If there's not something to hold the substrate up, it will slowly level out.
Green Machine sells this product (Substrate Supports) http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...trate-supports

but I saw a close up of their video and its just corrugated plastic like what is used to make "For Sale" signs in front of houses. I picked some up at Walmart for $2.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

That can work.

The reason I mentioned lava rock is because it's cheap ($3-$5 for 50 pounds), inert, usually doesn't contain potentially harmful chemicals and provides a decent amount of surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. Since it's black, it's also easy to hide with substrate.

Looking forward to seeing how your tank turns out.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I agree with the lava rock for a slope. If you mix anything close to the size of the AS, you are going to be stuck with it if you ever want to rescape or change up the substrate levels. You can get some at the hardware store that are about 1 inch which would make it both easy to build a slope, and easy to separate from the AS should you have to.

Again, my only reason I wouldn't cap the AS is that it would last longer than my scape in most cases so I wouldn't want to start over or have a mixed substrate after rescaping. Their isn't any harm in capping or anything.

-Matt

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
That can work.
Looking forward to seeing how your tank turns out.
Thanks. I'm pretty excited. I'm picking up a 5lb tank and a regulator tomorrow afternoon. the whole CO2 setup with a brand new tank is gonna cost just barely over $100. The Hydrofarm regulator is used. Getting it from a local guy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I started the layout by adding some small black volcanic rock to build a slope. I added a strip of corrugated plastic to support the slope as well.

Next I added the ADA New Amazonia

]

I ended up going with this:

Hemianthus Cuba, Amazon Micro Sword and Dwarf Saggitaria for now

Fertilizers: The spray bottle has water from my other small planted tank that I've been dosing seachem products

Hemianthus Cuba, Amazon micro sword and dwarf saggitaria
Substrate: ADA New Amazonia

Here's a video:
http://youtu.be/v30w0fuIEnM

Last edited by GJL Creative Solutions; 04-03-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Added Video

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode