jobes plant sticks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
how long do they last before you can be safe to move plants around?

how often do you use them and how many?

thanks. FP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:07 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dont know what you mean about how long before plants are safe to move but I usually add my jobes once every 10 to 12 weeks... only a 1/3 of a stick at the root bases.

They need to be buried deep so moving plants is no problem. I have though pulled up plants and have had the roots growing right through them...

Be sure to get them low in Phospherous...some are sold very high in Phospherous... look at the numbers listed...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:09 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Oh yeh.... I only add them at the bases of my root feeders, not throughout substrate...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
If I had the choice I would have never used Jobes. I made the mistake of disrupting my substrate to move some plants and bang, 3 months of hair algae to deal with.

Just be very careful, press them down as deep as possible, and don't move plants unless absolutely necessary.

Kyle

Please Send all Support Requests to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 12:27 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I haven't used Jobes yet... don't they contain urea, and urea is bad for a tank? Can someone shed some bright light? :mrgreen:

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks, I only use them under my stem plants, but i've not been doing it regularaly. now i know how ofter i can use them :roll: :P 8)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Where is Stever Hampton when you need him?

He seems to be the leading expert on Jobes.

Kyle

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Urea is indeed supposed to be bad for planted tanks. Bottom line is that if you uproot any fertilizer tab or enriched soil substrate, you are going to be in for some algae. When I add Jobes, I get a slight increase in green spot algae for a few days before things settle down.
I added one stick, cut in four pieces, to the roots of my Crypts one month ago. You guys should see the growth. It's insane. They have tripled in size. Is there risk? Yep. Green water, hair algae, green spot, but if you're careful and use them responsibly, they can give a weak plant one heck of a shot in the rear! I'll post pics tomorrow of the difference in these crypts.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Thanks Sam, that makes sense. I guess it is like with Kitty Litter :hehe: It is cheap and can work out excellent, but there is some risk. Some prefer using a more expensive substrate, or real root tabs.
My tenellus is seriously starving... I will see if it works wonders on it too.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Planted Member

I just planted a stick for my tenellus two days ago. Hopefully it will grow well. I used the fern and palm jobe sticks (16% N, 2% P, 6%K I think). I will keep you informed of how it goes

Eric
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
As promised, here is the comparison. It is hard to see against the clown puke colored Flourite substrate, but those crypts have looked like the first picture for a year - just terrible. And that is with 4wpg, HP CO2 and plenty of water column nutrients. One Jobe's stick later, and a month, and they look a lot better. I even pulled one of the larger ones out from that group and moved it to another tank, so it was actually even fuller than that.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:22 PM

Do you still have the pictures on hand?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
the story on old attachments

Older threads were migrated to the new server sans attachments, so you will find lots of references to photos that don't appear in the migrated threads. The original photos were in the old threads, which were available at least for a time, but now appear to all have been scrubbed. I checked the original thread
https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...s+plant+sticks

...and no pics. Maybe Sam can repost.

James
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank VIP

You haved to be logged in to see the pictures. I'll post them here though to make it easier for the lazier ones

First: Crypts before Jobes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crypts-BeforeJobes.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	406  

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Second: Crypts after Jobes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crypts-AfterJobes.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	407  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode